Delphi Programming Language?

Aabeck

I have a customer that wants some changes to their HMI Operator Station, that is a PC based program that according to the original manufacturer is programmed in Delphi programming language. This manufacturer wants $10,000.00 to change the 2nd half of 1 subroutine, that the 1st half has already been done & working for over a year.

My customer wants me to reprogram this for a more reasonable cost, but I need to know what is needed for Delphi editing (and compiling I figure)

Anyone with experience that can send me in the right direction? :confused:

Or am I getting into something a PLC and Panelview guy would be over his head in?:eek:

Here's a link to a free book. It says that it is based on Pascal. Are you comfortable with that. More importantly, do would you have full access to the source? That may be something the original manufacturer may not have released.

Edit - sorry that doesn't seem to be much of a book.

Last edited:
Delphi is a visual application development environment based on Pascal. It was originally created by Borland, but it is now Embarcadero. It has been over 10 years since I had done any Delphi programming, so I'm not up to date on the portability to newer versions. First I would find out what version of Delphi was used to develop the application and also make sure the full source code is available.

Here is the web site for the software:

http://www.embarcadero.com/products/delphi

Depending on how well the original programmer had written the code, it can get into a huge deal to modify.

With time, the Embarcadero software (which isn't free btw) and Google, you could do it yourself. Providing you have the complete source code.
With time, I mean weeks if you're familiar with computer programming, months if you are not.

If you have no PC programming experience I would pass this one by. Even if you do have the source code it will not build if third party components were used to create the application. These generally would not be included with the source code. These would need to be found and installed into the RAD IDE (or linked to depending on the component).

I use to love Delphi - always thought it was way ahead of its time.

I dont think the original programmer is being unfair. It is just a lot of work to go back to old software and change anything.

How complex is this software ?
Rather than trying to make changes to the Delphi code, how about a complete rewrite in a HMI software that you are familiar with ?

You may want to research this "customer" and verify that the original developer got paid for the first half.

You write that it is the second half of a SUBROUTINE. In well written code a subroutine should probably be about 80 lines of code maximum. Delphi is an enhanced version of Pascal for windows. You would need access to the IDE (code editor and compiler) to be able to change the code. Your IDE version would also have to support the code which you already have in order to make changes and recompile the code.