Unrecognized device

razzyrazz

Hello all

I am new here but not new, would come in and just read on things every once in a while and figured hey I need to get registered.

Any ways I have been having a problem with connecting to Controllogix PLC's. This all started after I upgraded to Studio5000. I then removed Studio5000 but it still has kept all my projects as a Studio5000 icon not the RSLogix5000 icon. Here is where my problem lies I open RSLinx Classics and it will see the PLC. When I open the project and go to communication and then "who Active" then it comes up with a question mark and unknown device but it doesn't have a red cross through it. Has anyone had this issue before????

Also using Spectrum cards but have added the EDS files, but I never had the EDS files in when I had the Studio5000 installed.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated TIA!!!

Go to Start->Programs->Rockwell Software->RSlinx->RSlinx Classic
Right click on the executable and go to Properties.
Click on the Compatibility Tab (as shown below) and make sure the Run this program in compatibilty mode for: is unchecked.
Do the same with Rslogix5000/500/5

Worked for me.

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=80059

1) what plc software version you were using before upgrading ?
2) what firmware version you had in your plc before upgrading ?
3) Question marks means eds problems !
4) red cross means no connection !
5) What model of spectrum cards are you talking about ?

Please answer question and we can help you ??

Studio 5000 v21 comes with a significant change in the way EDS files are registered and managed by all Rockwell Software products, including RSLinx Classic and RSNetworx.

Instead of using the Windows Registry, Studio 5000 v21 and RSLinx Classic v3.50 use an SQL Express database that's installed in the background.

Once you install Studio 5000, you *MUST* also upgrade RSLinx Classic and RSNetworx to the versions compatible with Studio 5000 v21 or the EDS subsystem will be broken.

I was using V19 of RSLogix5000 and this new controller is a V20. The ControlLogix processors I have been on multiple times it was only after i installed Studio5000 I started having this problem. I removed the Studio5000 and kept to V20 on my laptop. I will try the compatibility mode and change it to windows 7 as that's what my laptop is running for a system. When I went into check on that it was unchecked but set at windows xp. Spectrum cards we are using are 1756SC-IF8U.

I don't have a PLC readily available either until I head out to the field and can connect to one so its kind of a pain in the rear!!!

only after I installed Studio5000 I started having this problem

"Studio 5000" is the new trade name for Logix 5000 v21.

If you installed Studio 5000 but not RSLinx Classic 3.5x or later, you broke the RSLinx EDS subsystem. Removing Studio 5000 does not fix the problem.

The best and simplest path forward is to install RSLinx Classic 3.70.

If you also have RSNetworx for DeviceNet, ControlNet, or EtherNet/IP installed, you must also upgrade those to v21.