Analog photolectric sensor

rguimond

Lifetime Supporting Member
Would anyone know of such a beast? We have a foil cutting machine that uses a black index mark that's detected by a color mark sensor. Foil length is "corrected" by a pull-back arm if paper advance doesn't stop on the mark.

This works OK, but it's a real pain to adjust it when changing to foils with different colors and surface textures.

I'd like to find a retro-reflective sensor that produces an analog output. The operator could select the type of foil from a lift on an HMI causing the correct analog value for "no mark" detection for that particular foil to be sent to the PLC.

So far, I can only find sensors with discrete outputs (like http://www.bannerengineering.com/en-EU/products/63/Sensors/244/Color-Mark-Sensors/188/R58E-Expert-Registration-Mark-Sensors/#overview). Due to the location of the sensor, adjusting "teach" settings isn't very convenient.

I'm sure one you the group's members can point me in the right direction.

Would anyone know of such a beast? We have a foil cutting machine that uses a black index mark that's detected by a color mark sensor. Foil length is "corrected" by a pull-back arm if paper advance doesn't stop on the mark.

This works OK, but it's a real pain to adjust it when changing to foils with different colors and surface textures.

I'd like to find a retro-reflective sensor that produces an analog output. The operator could select the type of foil from a lift on an HMI causing the correct analog value for "no mark" detection for that particular foil to be sent to the PLC.

So far, I can only find sensors with discrete outputs (like http://www.bannerengineering.com/en-EU/products/63/Sensors/244/Color-Mark-Sensors/188/R58E-Expert-Registration-Mark-Sensors/#overview). Due to the location of the sensor, adjusting "teach" settings isn't very convenient.

I'm sure one you the group's members can point me in the right direction.

It might be over kill, but look into the Cognex Checker. I am sure it can handle your task easily.

Dave

Rockwell Automation has a wide range of photosensors, including some with analog outputs. The bulletin 42FB Fiber Optic sensor might be good for your application, because the sensor can be remotely located and connected only to the sensing area with fiber optic cable and head. It has a 1-8 volt analog output. You might need a signal conditioner or converter to convert that to 0-10 volts for a standard PLC analog input. Probably you can just scale the 1-8 input internally.

http://ab.rockwellautomation.com/Se...tic-Sensors/Analog-Output-Fiber-Optic-Sensors

The Rockwell laser-type sensors 45BPD, 45BRD, 45CPD, and 45LMS with analog outputs also might be possibilities.

Last edited:
I know this isn't exactly what you asked for, but Banner makes a real nice fiber optic photoswitch that fits on a din rail and with the fiber optics can be positioned away from where it's sensing

what I like about it is that it has digital readouts for the background and the mark, and it has a digital set point... that is really nice ...you set the digitally displayed switching point a little higher than the mark and you are good to go.

It is very nice ... check it out

http://www.bannerengineering.com/en-US/products/industry/17/86/Semiconductor/607/DF-G1-Fiber-Optic-Sensor#overview

Last edited:
I used to use a DATALOGIC colour mark sensor when i was in the packaging industry. It's the only way to go as if the colour mark changes then you can adjust simply on the unit. We also used an encoder on the machine so that we could sense the mark between a start and end point as many customers printed in the area where the mark was placed.

Hope this helps

Brett