C# to KepServer

alyons

Guys,

I am new to PLC. I am an Object Oriented Programmer. Fortunately, I have been assigned to a project and get to learn something very, very, new to me.

I need to write a program in C#. This program has to “connect” a web page to KepServer. Basically what will happen is a barcode will be scanned and a database will be queried for part numbers. The part numbers correspond to lights controlled by Omron. If a corresponding part number is returned a light will turn on. I have been researching how to connect to KepServer via a C# program and send commands to the PLC via KepServer but haven’t found much. Can anyone offer any guidance on how to start? The only solid lead I have is to buy ClientAce.

But I suspect that there is a way to write a program that connects to the server and sends the commands..

Such as this: http://moltoimportante.blogspot.com/2009/03/retrieving-tag-information-with-kepware.html

Any help would be amazing. Thank you for your time.

alyons

Greetings and welcome to the site.

This response basically confirms your initial conclusion.

If you are creating what is identified as a Client application, Kepware has a product for incorporating OPC functionality into your client based application. It is called Client Ace.

http://www.eternity-sales.com/Kepware/clientace.htm

If you have any questions, feel free to respond to this post, pm, or email.

Disclosure - ESI is an Authorized Kepware Distributor.

Thanks for the response, Stephen!

So instead of purchasing ClientAce, wouldn't using something like OpenOPC be the best alternative?

Based on what I have read about OpenOPCUA, it appears to be an option. I cannot entirely recommend that path in that I am not fully knowledgeable about it.

What I do know is that ClientAce will do what you need it to do - equipping your client to become an OPC client.