Addressing of Control Techniques VFDs

ROAMER_AUS

Hi all,

I can't figure out few of addresses in HMI connected to Unidrive SP with RED lion G306 that I inherited. They communicate via modbus, and most of the addressing is for example 401909 meaning 4 - for holding registers, menu 19.09. But i have a few that read 418405. Now 4 is still for holding registers. But other digits don't make sense, there is no menu 84.05 (what's 1 for then?), there is 18.40 but that is only a bit, and what is 5 for then, and HMI reads long word from this address.

I can't match them to any address in the drive.

Any ideas?

Thanx all!!!

do you have any modules installed in the Drive?

It may be option module 1 then an internal address

Last edited:
Unidrive SP Advanced Users Guide
- Serial Communications Protocol
- CT Modbus RTU Specification
- Extended data Types

It is setting INT32 type reads.

To interpret your address of 18405 subtract 16384 ( '01' in top 2 bits ). This leaves 2021 - menu 20 item 20 (or possibly 21 - I'm not sure)

Last edited:
Unidrive SP Advanced Users Guide
- Serial Communications Protocol
- CT Modbus RTU Specification
- Extended data Types

It is setting INT32 type reads.

To interpret your address of 18405 subtract 16384 ( '01' in top 2 bits ). This leaves 2021 - menu 20 item 20 (or possibly 21 - I'm not sure)

Hi Bernie, you are right, it is for 32 bit reads. I had a look at that part of the manual, but I still can't see the connection between described formats and my addressing of 418405. Would you care to point it out if you know?

I don't know where they got X value in the example not that number 16384!

Thanx!!!

Last edited:
The added on number for extended addressing is the top 2 bits , 00 being the standard types, 01 being 32 bit INT addressing ...

'01' in the top two bits is 16384. So, to convert a standard menu/item address to this for is done by adding 16384.

So, does menu 20 - item 20 mean anything to you? Does it make sense given what the Red Lion is showing in this item?

(All I know is what I read in the manual, I've never used this, but it looks right.)

The added on number for extended addressing is the top 2 bits , 00 being the standard types, 01 being 32 bit INT addressing ...

'01' in the top two bits is 16384. So, to convert a standard menu/item address to this for is done by adding 16384.

So, does menu 20 - item 20 mean anything to you? Does it make sense given what the Red Lion is showing in this item?

(All I know is what I read in the manual, I've never used this, but it looks right.)

Ahhh OK got it now. Makes sense. Yes, 20.20 is part of the menu for the drive.

Altough I always get 1 valus smaller when calculating than what is addressed in the HMI. Driver in HMI probably takes care of the -1 part of equation formula described in the manual.

Many thanks for the help!!!

Now I need to get them communicating again 🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻