PLC code Conversion tools or SW.

Ani

Hi all,

I am looking forward for all available PLC code conversion tools or links for the companies which provides such conversions.

Thanks in advance.

There are only a few firms that I know about who specialize in conversions.

In particular I'm thinking of Javlyn Automation of New York, who specialize in PLC-3 conversions. Control Technology Inc. specializes in support and conversion of legacy TI 500 series controllers.

In most cases, you'll find an integrator or engineering company in a particular industry who sells and supports a modern platform and is skilled with migrating the older platform.

Answers will vary widely depending on geographic location: I'm not sure Javlyn would be interested in working in India.

If you can be a little more specific about the controller brands and technologies you are interested in, I'm sure you can get better advice.

Thanks Ken.

In fact I am working for Rockwell to GE plc code conversion. I know this is kind of wrong side driving. So I want to get details about which PLC code conversion tools exists to find better alternative.

Don't bother looking for apps that will take an RSLogix500 or RSLogix5000 file and convert it to a GE Proficy Machine Edition file.
Think about how much time and effort it would take to develop an app like that. Think about how much time and effort it would take to stay current with all versions of both Rockwell and GE software. Think about how many copies of that app you might sell. Then ask yourself why anyone would bother developing such an app.
After that, consider this. Any conversion app is likely to be similar to translating a novel by looking up every word in the dictionary. How are you supposed to translate logic that was written to use instructions in the Rockwell function set for which there is no comparable function in GE? How would you expect the software to recognize parts of the Rockwell code that might be more efficiently written using GE functions that aren't available in Rockwell.
Substitute any pair of brand names instead of Rockwell and GE and the answers are the same.

As a rule, you're much better off by simply converting the program manually anyway.
"Conversion" programs are nothing more than a sales tool for pushing upgrades.

I am doing the opposite right now: I'm converting a program that runs in a GE 90-70 to a ControlLogix.

But all of my I/O addressing is different, and the data syntax is all different. And I'm not very experienced in GE in the first place.

So I'm using the GE program to develop a scope of control, and writing pseudocode in English out of that, and using that to guide the writing of my ControlLogix code.

Any time I've ever been required to upgrade a PLC to a different model, I've always ended up doing exactly what Ken suggests above. Even going from an SLC to a ControlLogix, same manufacturer but different platform. I'm sure an SLC to CLX conversion tool of sorts exists somewhere but by the time you get really into it I always end up deciding it's just easier to understand what the code is doing and then write it again from scratch. Makes for a much neater job, and far fewer headaches for me trying to troubleshoot it ;)

Thanks to all of you.

I came to this decision to do it manually, whatever it takes....!

Thanks again for your valuable suggestions.