Using a PID

zacslade

Hi all,

I'm using a PID for the first time. Here's my application:

I'm using a PF755 with a CompactLogix L33 to control an unwinder with a load cell to measure tension. It just has to maintain tension while another device pulls the web. I'm writing in RSLogix5000

Here's how I have the PID set up:
Setpoint = Recipe Tension
Process Variable = Load Cell Input (scaled)
Control Variable = Command Torque (%)
Max Output = 0%
Min Output = -80%

My question is: How will the PID behave?
Will it start with output at the min and then scale up, or will it start with output at 0 and scale down?
Will it scale really quickly down to 80% and stay there until the Load Cell Input is higher than the Recipe Tension, or will it slowly scale the Control Variable?
Can I tell it to scale slowly or quickly if I want to?

Thanks!
Zac Slade

Our unwinders just use the load cell as a error to the speed command. PID was to unresponsive. Load cell puts out small voltage -.5 to +.5 added to speed command, as tension increases error voltage goes up causing unwind to speeed up. Same for not enough tension speed slows down.