SLC5/04 to Compact GuardLogix

ASF

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi all,

I've been asked to give an estimate on a job where the main aim is to remove 14 pilz safety relays and replace them with a programmable safety controller, and consolidate the safety zoning because nobody on site really understands how it works any more. The site is generally going to GuardLogix processors across the board for all machinery, which suggests that they have a lot of money to spend, but then for this job they've requested a Compact GuardLogix to save money :unsure:

Anyway. That part of it is straightforward, the tricky part is going to be interfacing with the existing PLC. Disclosure: I'm a new school programmer. I like my ethernet comms and probably wasn't even born yet when DH+ was invented :rolleyes:

The existing PLC is an SLC5/04. From my reading, it has DH+ and RS232 onboard. There is currently a blue hose connected from the DH+ port to a PanelView of some sort (I'm working off photos here as I can't get to site). Next to that in the rack is a BASIC card, which has two DB9's for RS-232/423, RS-422, and RS-485 and an RJ45 for DH485 comms. One of the DB9's is in use, the other two ports are free. Then there are two DeviceNet scanners. Not sure what they talk to, presumably some drives. So I've got a wide selection of things to plug into, but none that this new-school programmer likes dealing with ;) there are no spare slots in this chassis (or the expansion chassis) so additional cards are out as well.

I've come up with the following options. Can anyone comment on any of these ideas? Any recommendations on what's the simplest/easiest, pitfalls and traps to be aware of, reasons why I'm wrong and it won't work, completely different ideas I haven't thought of, open to anything :)

Option 1: Swap the SLC5/04 for an SLC5/05. I'm assuming I can download the existing program straight into an SLC5/05, and then I get my beloved ethernet port and talking to the Compact is easy. The problem I can see is that I'd then have to upgrade the PV as well, because the SLC/05 doesn't have DH+ to talk to it. I have no experience with converting a PV application from DH+ to ethernet, would it be as simple as changing the drivers/shortcut in RSLE, or would I end up having to remap every tag in the project?

Option 2: Throw out the Compact GuardLogix idea and go for a regular GuardLogix with a 1756-DHRIO module. I've seen but never used one before, so I'd be interested to hear if anyone has any experience with them. I would imagine, being an AB in-chassis purpose-built card that it couldn't be too bad.

Option 3: Prosoft converter: http://www.prosoft-technology.com/P...-IP-to-Allen-Bradley-Remote-I-O-or-DH-Gateway . It's a bit of an unknown for me again, but it looks like it's a straightforward web browser setup with no tag mapping required. I would assume that I just direct SLC typed explicit messages to it's IP address and it will forward them on to the SLC. Has anyone used one?

Option 4: Use the spare port on the BASIC card to talk RS232 with the Compact GuardLogix RS232 port. I don't like this idea because having had a quick scan through the basic card manual, it seems to imply that those cards have to be programmed with their own software, and I don't want to play too much with something that (a) is working, and (b) I don't understand

Option 5: Add a 1769 DeviceNet card to the Compact GuardLogix and talk that way. I don't really think this is by any means the best way to do it, but I guess it's possible

Any thoughts? Thanks!

Let's try this again, my last post is gone. I would not touch #4 or #5 if I can. I would get the Prosoft module and try it out because it sounds to me like the least time and $ with the possibility of going with #2 if #3 doesn't work out.

Let's try this again, my last post is gone. I would not touch #4 or #5 if I can. I would get the Prosoft module and try it out because it sounds to me like the least time and $ with the possibility of going with #2 if #3 doesn't work out.

Apart from then I'd have bought a Compact GuardLogix and all of it's friends, and would no longer have any use for it ;)

But yes, I think #4 and #5 are last resort options...

Challenges....eh?

Option 3 - the Prosoft module, should also work with the new ethernet to the existing Panelview. I looked at changing out 2 Panelviews with RIO on them, as they started to fail and I had no spares, nor do Rockwell....
Rockwell recommended the Prosoft module as an option, but once priced, I think it was around £2500. I ended up adding the Panelview info to a SCADA.

Not sure what you mean by the ProSoft module "should work with the new ethernet to the existing PV"? I think I read something about that prosoft module not being able to convert ethernet signals to a PV. But not 100% on that.

In any case, if I go that way I won't get the PV to interrogate the new PLC, I'll just send the safety info from the Compact to the SLC via DH+ and keep the PV looking at the SLC.

Any other thoughts? At the moment I'm leaning toward options 2 and 3: #2 because then it's a wall-to-wall Rockwell solution and they can't pull the third party equipment cop-out trick if I have issues, and #3 because it would probably be the cheapest option.

Is the Channel 0 serial port on the SLC-5/04 available ?

I would just install a Digi One IAP on that port. The CompactLogix can send messages to the SLC over EtherNet/IP using MSG instructions.

I would just install a Digi One IAP on that port. The CompactLogix can send messages to the SLC over EtherNet/IP using MSG instructions.

This would be my option one (since I know it works and is easy). It will work just fine unless the amount of traffic you want to pass is unreasonable. Once that is done, then you can buy some time to upgrade those other pieces in different bite-size chunks...

A Smart Gateway from SoftPLC is half the price of the ProSoft, plus it has a built-in Ethernet switch. You can use it for the PV on DH+ initially, then replace/change those with Enet HMIs later.

OR, you can replace the SLC-5/04 with a Smart SoftPLC for about 1/2 the price of a 5/05, keep the DH+ to the PV and have Enet for the Logix. The program and I/O import no problem.

I haven't come across them before...I'll look them up! Yes the serial port is available...although my hesitation there would be that then I have to unplug the comms link to the Compact to get online with the SLC...which could make troubleshooting the comms difficult. Or can the Digi One also get me online via ethernet?