AB PLC 5 / Panel view

DwSoFt

Lifetime Supporting Member
I popped my PLC 5 cherry today. And also panelbuilder32. Thus far I have done mostly newer stuff from Allen bradley (spoiled I know) I have however done older rocpaks as well as scadapacks. Just wondering if people still deal with the plc 2 or other equipment still in use today.

Still deal with PLC5, K-M PLCs, S5 although PLC5 is under windows rather than the old 6200 software. S5 programmer on Win95 still..

Scarier still are the InTouch applications running on WinNT, Win2000, even got a couple of PCs running DOS applications with networking and printing from DOS.
A Siemens SCADA runs off Corus, and when you get into the OS (its own!), you realise that you can actually run Dos 6.22 and Win3.1, with the cool tool of XTPRO or XTGold....

So been here 18 months, still not got a handle on everything here, job for life!

LOTS of old stuff still out there, DCS systems even. I know of a tire plant with 100's of PLC-2/20's still in operation. PLC-5 is modern compared to that.

You can toss a running PLC5 chassis in a pond and it will swim to shore without assistance. It may cough up it's program on the bank so you will sometimes have reload it (after you dry it out) and away she goes for another decade of flawless performance.

You can toss a Panelview Standard (or plus for that matter) in a pond and just leave it there where it belongs.