FactoryTalk ME 6.0 Tag Browser Problems

marcwand

Hey Guys,

I have been having a problem for awhile now where I cannot drill down to the Tag Browser or test any screens in FactoryTalk View ME 6.0.

I am not saying that I am a gun panelview programmer by any means, but I have been looking after all of the panelviews on my site for many years without any problems.

Now when I say test an individual screen, all of the indications load up with errors and the text in the status window down the bottom reads "Failed to resolve item's ID '[tagname]' because it does not exist on any server." This message gets written for every tag used on the screen as every tag has an error.

My configuration in RSLinx Enterprise Runtime tab matches that of the design tab. I can ping the equipment that I am connecting to. Interestingly enough if I were to go and modify a tag connection, the tag browser does not load up correctly. I cannot see any online or offline tags. I cannot see any shortcuts underneath the project name. There is a plus sign beside the project name that does nothing if I click on it, and if I refresh all folders it simply disappears.

This has suddenly happened with every project that I have loaded up.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled RSView and RSLinx with no resolution. These panelview projects work on another PC with no problems.

I have searched everywhere and found reference to the DIBserver.exe service which is running and a sfl20??.dll file as well. My problem does not seem to be related to those as they are all running and in the correct places as stated in other posts.

I did find one post where a guy was talking that he had to reformat his computer.. I would very much like to avoid doing this.

Does anyone have any ideas on anything else I can try before I throw this laptop through a chipper?? haha..

Thanks in advance.

I borrowed a system integrator's identity for a day so AB would actually talk to me. (we only get "web self help for out 10,000 USD/year contract....) anyway.... I had the same problem and have 2 solutions.

first per KB (knowledge base articles) 32953 and 33924 you delete the cached tags
in rs view enterprise\me\hmi\..... find RMDATA folder and delete it.

then in the HMI project folder under TAG subfolder delete the .cac (don't delete the wrong one! it's a .cac)

reboot. see what happens. maybe it was just offline tags out of synch for god knows what gremlin reason.

If not that I was not able to write fast enough to keep up with what they had me do a different time when I could not build a runtime due to errors and fyi like you...

i reinstalled everything.

this will NOT FIX THE PROBLEM.

I was told that re-installing does NOT delete the files in hidden folder c:\program data\

where inside the subfolder RNAserver I THINK it was where he had me delete an hmi project that I did not have in my list of projects as an option but was still trying to reference a SQL instance and shutting down the HMI tag server...

So that took about 2 hours......

First sanity check he had me do so I'll suggest it as well (from memory) was create a new project and as fast as possible just pick all the basic nothings. click click click. new project, no screens, no tags etc. try to create a runtime and see if you get an error. This is the first check they will do to see about the health of the software.

also if you are in support upgrade to FT Studio 8 I did it last week. Already feels more stable, lol. Don't worry you can save your runtimes as any older version....

First off thanks for taking the time to reply. I also am restricted to the self help tech support package, though in saying that until now I have not really needed anything further.

I have had time to look a bit further into the problem and I think I have narrowed down the problem. Unfortunately it is heading in a slightly different direction.

I had a look at the KB articles as quoted. I deleted the cache folder in each project as per KB34686, unfortunately this did not resolve the issue.

I then set about trying to validate the tag database and found that the tools provided in KB32953 will only work in Factory Talk SE, not ME.

I also deleted the .CAC, .CRC, and .CTL files from the TAG folders of each of my HMI projects as per KB43551 (even though this is written for FactoryTalk View SE) which did not resolve the problem.

Having a further look, most of our displays are not programmed with connections pointing to the Tag Database, rather they point directly to the PLC referenced tag. All of these tags are unavailable to be selected, and they are not available to be tested on existing screens. It is here that I feel my software is hung up.

Even though the configurations are set up correctly in the communication tabs, they are not available to be selected when I try to assign a connection to an object.

These are not new projects that I am creating, rather they are ones that I have been evolving for years. Suddenly they all just stopped working.

I will continue searching for a resolution, but I just wanted to thank you for your reply, hope that someone has further input, and continue the thread for anyone else that stumbles across it.

Cheers

Hi marcwand,

I have also gone through same error "Failed to resolve item's ID '[tagname]' because it does not exist on any server".
Then I restarted both the servics RSLinx & Rslinx enterprise (My computer--Right click--Manage--Services) and it was all fine after this. I was also thinking like a big problem regarding setup files,etc.... May be I was lucky to get it done. Try this for sure..!!!!

I suspect that you were indeed lucky Ani, I have previously tried to reinstall RSLinx Enterprise without success. I have not reinstalled RSLinx Classic as I do not feel that would fix it either. At this stage however I am willing to give anything a try!! haha