1770 KFD and RSLINX 2.58 and 2.59

Any reason why the driver does not show up when I select the devicenet driver selection in version 2.57 it shows up and in version 2.58 and 2.59 it does not. Did Rockwell stop using the device ? Should I down grade to RSlinc 2.57??

Ok, you need a comma somewhere in that statement. Which version does it appear, and which version does it not appear?

Is it: (notice the comma)
"the driver does not show up when I select the devicenet driver selection in version 2.57, it shows up and in version 2.58 and 2.59 it does not......"

Or is it: (again, notice the comma)
"the driver does not show up when I select the devicenet driver, selection in version 2.57 it shows up, and in version 2.58 and 2.59 it does not....."

Big differences there.

OG

The difference might be related to the OS, as well.

The 1770-KFD driver, like most of the 1995-vintage DeviceNet drivers, relied on a 32-bit DLL that won't run correctly in 64-bit Windows operating systems.

The RA Knowledgebase suggests that RSLinx Classic 3.60 will support the 1770-KFD in Windows 7 64-bit.

https://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/452830

Read the KB document carefully, as it includes information on the necessary upgrade of RSNetworx and Studio 5000 to v21 if you also upgrade RSLinx Classic to a version that relies on the newest SQL-based EDS subsystem.

Ok, you need a comma somewhere in that statement.

I think the main missing punctuation is a question mark...

ronny_resistor said:
Any reason why the driver does not show up? When I select the devicenet driver selection in version 2.57 it shows up, and in version 2.58 and 2.59 it does not. Did Rockwell stop using the device ? Should I down grade to RSlinc 2.57??

Yes a coma might be needed, in any event I ha devicenet 8.xx running ok on an older laptop with RSLINX 2.57. I then had a bright idea to upgrade to Devicenet 10.0 and I had issues with my eds files not being registered. So then I brought out my windows 7.0 (64-bit) computer with devicenet 11.0 and there was no option for setting up the 1770-kfd module. So i went to my virtual windows XP which is running Devicenet 10.0 and found that here too there was no 1770-kfd module available. So great no more PCMIA cards (no notebook has provisions for it) and now my 1770 is also obsolete.
Keep in mind though wre seldom have a requirement for the SLC's as we do most of our Devicenet programming on the Controllogix platform.

I don't have all these permutations memorized anymore, but let's go through them one at a time and see if we can get one that works for you:

Assuming the "older laptop" was running Windows XP:

1. Windows XP, RSLinx 2.57, RSNetworx 8.0: Works Correctly
  2. Windows XP, RSLinx 2.57, upgraded to RSNetworx 10.0: Problems with EDS file registration.
  3. Windows 7 64-bit, RSLinx 2.58 or 2.59, RSNetworx 11.0: No 1770-KFD driver available.
  4. Windows XP on VM, RSLinx 2.58 or 2.59, RSNetworx 10.0: No 1770-KFD driver available.

We know that RSLinx 2.5x doesn't support the 1770-KFD on any 64-bit operating systems, so #3 is out unless we upgrade all the way to RSNetworx v21 and RSLinx 3.60.

Is the #4 VM an "XP Mode" virtual machine, or VMWare or VirtualBox, or something else ?

If it were me, I would try to fix whatever's wrong with EDS registration on the XP machine with RSLinx 2.57 and RSNetworx 10.