CompactLogix Ethernet IP address on HMI.

Elcan

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello all,
I have an Allen Bradley CompactLogix L33ER processor and a Red Lion G310 HMI working together.
My goal is to show the PLC IP address on the HMI.
This could be done using a Crimson function (if that function exists) and/or loading a PLC tag with the PLC IP address (but I don't know how).
Does anybody know how can I do it?

Thank you!

I looked in the RA Knowledge base and could only come up with this:
29904 - Using the GSV instruction in Logix controllers to keep track of Ethernet connections.

Tech Connect contract is required for this KB.

The GSV is used to retrieve status information from the controller. What you need is a MSG instruction to retrieve the IP address and store it in tags that the HMI can access and display.

Rockwell does have a TechNote on how to do this with code you can import into your application or just recreate yourself.

https://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/26779/related/1

Does require a TechConnect contract to access.

OG

Crimson 3 has a "GetNetIP" function that returns a string with the IP address of the G3 terminal itself.

I don't see a similar function to show you the network address of a particular node on a communication network configuration.

OG's suggestion to pull the IP address from the CompactLogix daughtercard with a MSG instruction and place it into a string would be the way I would do this.

How about using a tag for the device address in Crimson? By using the TextToAddr function you could work with a user readable string on the HMI which would make it both readable and writeable*.

*Changing the IP of the G3 at runtime requires a reset of the terminal which can be done programmatically.

Crimson 3 has a "GetNetIP" function that returns a string with the IP address of the G3 terminal itself.

I don't see a similar function to show you the network address of a particular node on a communication network configuration.
Yeah, I was expecting a Crimson function to do it. This would have been the easiest way.

OG's suggestion to pull the IP address from the CompactLogix daughtercard with a MSG instruction and place it into a string would be the way I would do this.
This seems to be the way to go.

Thanks for all your comments, folks!

Unless I am missing the boat:
You're probably using static IP address in the PLC?
If so, you already know the PLC IP address.
In any event, you need the correct PLC IP address to interrogate the PLC.
You can make the PLC IP address a string tag - and reference it by the tag. but you still must know the IP address within G3.

Unless I am missing the boat:
You're probably using static IP address in the PLC?
If so, you already know the PLC IP address.
Yes, you are correct

You can make the PLC IP address a string tag - and reference it by the tag. but you still must know the IP address within G3.
But I would need to update the IP address manually. If I fail to update the address, it won't be accurate and it will confuse people, including me.