Swapping Logic Boards on PanelView to Gain VNC

five

We currently have a handful of PanelView Plus 1500 models around the plant. These were not the CE edition, just the regular locked down edition. We have a need to VNC into the boxes and when I called RA they quoted us $7K for a PanelView 6 1500 that includes the VNC feature. I had looked into this in the past and remembered that one of the revisions of our model included it.

I did some more research tonight and wanted to get some confirmations or "you're crazy" thoughts on possible plans.

Our current parts:
Touchscreen: 2711P-RDT15C B
Logic Module: 2711P-RP1A

I found a pdf online that had some information on the different part numbers that were available.

Looks like to me we could upgrade the logic module to 2711P-RP6A and the CompactFlash to 2711P-RW6 and we would have the CE version and then we could VNC to our hearts content. Is that correct?

Will our touchscreen work with that newer logic module?

Would it be possible to buy just the CE version of the CF card? Or will the 64MB logic module hold us back too much?

Thanks and I appreciate it.

According to this upgrade document, the 2711P-RW6 CompactFlash card will get you the CE desktop features, but it can only be installed in a Series F or later PV+ terminal.

The part number you gave for the original logic modules sounds like it's a Series A, one of the much older units.

So I think the only thing you can do is replace the logic module, which should include a new CF card.

That was the document I was looking at too. Did not notice that line item. This one is a Series G, so it would work with just the CF card. Thanks for getting me that info. I missed it the first time. Thank you, I appreciate it.

It's worth checking with RA to be sure.

In my recollection, the 64 MB RAM models couldn't run the CE desktop; you needed the 128 MB RAM at least.

Maybe these logic modules are old enough that they have removable RAM boards and you could upgrade cheaply.

Gawd, the CE/Logic Module thing was a clusterfowl.

Just to be on safe side I went ahead and ordered the logic module, instead of chancing it with just the CF card. I will post back after some testing to see if it works in our environment.

Swap the whole thing and get remote access with just a browser for half the cost. I can't imagine any application taking longer than a week to convert so figure a grand for that per app. Spend some of the remaining savings on the modification to the panel opening. Say goodbye to Factory Balk and say hello to incremental updates and fast, reliable, flexible hardware and far superior but free software.

Another sellling point is that you will be able to use the HMI under ten seconds after power up so you will gain at least a minute of uptime per power on event...this alone can provide provable ju$tification to deviate from a pet brand depending on how often you must power down the HMI.

http://new.redlion.net/product/g3-series-15-hmi-indoor

Last edited:
PanelView Plus CE internal CompactFlash card part numbers:
* 2711P-RW6 (128 MB)
* 2711P-RW7 (256 MB)
* 2711P-RW8 (512 MB)
PanelView Plus / PanelView Plus CE RAM part numbers:
* 2711P-RR128 (128 MB)
* 2711P-RR256 (256 MB)
* 2711P-RR512 (512 MB)

Last edited:
Just to clarify the Logic Module RAM upgrade option...

It is indeed recommended to match the size of the CompactFlash RAM with the size of the RAM in the Logic Module. You have already ordered the 128mb CE RAM 2711P-RP6A Logic Module, which will come with a 128mb RAM 2711P-RW6 CE CompactFlash card, which is fine. But, and as mentioned, you could have separately ordered the 128mb RAM 2711P-RW6 CE CompactFlash card and a 2711P-RR128 128mb RAM module to upgrade the 64mb RAM 2711P-RP1A Logic Module.

Either way, it'll be less expensive than the suggested upgrade to the PVP 6 platform.

Regards,
George

Last edited:
Swap the whole thing and get remote access with just a browser for half the cost. I can't imagine any application taking longer than a week to convert so figure a grand for that per app. Spend some of the remaining savings on the modification to the panel opening. Say goodbye to Factory Balk and say hello to incremental updates and fast, reliable, flexible hardware and far superior but free software.http://new.redlion.net/product/g3-series-15-hmi-indoor
Yea going ahead in the future we probably will be doing something like this.

Just to clarify the Logic Module RAM upgrade option...
Thanks for the information. I ended up going the logic module route vs the separate components. But thank you for the write up and explanation. Very helpful if it has to be revisited in the future.

Got the new logic module in and when I load it, it goes directly to the CE desktop. How do I get it to load the application? I don't see FactoryTalk View ME anywhere either. I haven't been able to find any upgrade instructions from RA. When it's booting up, there are no startup options, it just goes to the desktop and that's it.

Last edited:
Update from yesterday, had to do a firmware upgrade and the application is running now. Just need to figure out the VNC server and I'll be good. Everything I've found thus far has said to get it on the CD, which I don't have.

There should be a desktop shortcut named "Servers" that acts as a miniature control panel for server applications like FTP and VNC.

I believe that might be for the PV+ 6 variant, I found what I was looking for though, in case anyone else goes through something similar, it was in knowledge base 28003, it has the files at the bottom to install vnc.

If the VNC files are not preloaded on the terminal, CEVNC is what you are looking for off the disc you don't have. This is what is run on the CE terminal as a Server. Your PC can then run a VNC Client, such as VNC Viewer from RealVNC, to remote in to the terminal.

Here are the instructions to set up CEVNC on the terminal, and VNC Viewer on your PC. The necessary files you don't seem to have are attached, and a link provided to RealVNC. Ignore Option 1. Option 2 is what you want...

50116 - Using a VNC Client/Server, a remote desktop connection can be established on the PanelView Pluslus CE (VersaView CE)
Access Level: TechConnect

EDIT: Technote 28003 is linked via the above. Very good you got there either way!

Regards,
George