RS-232 straight cable

SiriusMark

I have an RS-232 Null modem cable. I need an RS-232 straight cable. If I attach a null modem adapter to the null-modem cable, will that make it a straight cable? A null-null means a normal, right? Work with me here...I'm frustrated.

Yeah, that's what I did. It didn't solve my problem, that's why I was frustrated and hoping someone would say "No, that won't work because of reason X".

I'll have to revisit this issue after I chill out. Thanks for the response!

Okay, now that I've cooled off...

Original problem is that we have an old Panelview 1000 standard that I need to pull the application off of. The panelview is ancient, no one has a copy of the app that is on it, and sooner or later it will die. I intend to get a copy, keep it, and also convert it over to FactoryTalk instead of PanelBuilder 32 so we can one day upgrade to a PV+.

That being said, whenever I try to download the app, I cannot get a connection and it tells me to make sure the printer is disabled. I can't check the terminal settings because the operators are dead sure convinced that if I shut the terminal down it will shut down the PLC it is monitoring. So....I don't know as a FACT that the printer is disabled, but since there has never been a printer hooked up to this device in the history of mankind, I'm going to assume it is.

I had hoped the problem was a cable one, because I've tried all the driver solutions I can think of. I'm using PanelBuilder 32, try to upload, select DF1 P2P, and have gone through a variety of baud and parity settings. I also tried using RSlinx, setting up a RS-232 DF1 device driver and fiddling with that. I get the same response each time.

So...what am I missing?

A couple of questions,
Are you sure the serial port on the PC you’re using is what it says it is (is it comm 1)?
Have you tried using the “Auto Configuration” option in RSLinx?
If it’s a hard serial port (not a USB adaptor) then sometimes they aren’t comm 1 especially if there is a build in modem. A lot of older PC’s came this way and the serial port was 2 or 3. If you’re using a USB adaptor the Auto Configure feature probably won’t work (but sometimes does).
I’ve got an older PV1000 that RSLinx won’t recognize (at least on the current computer I use to work with it) unless I do the Auto Configure setup. I can’t explain why but every time I open RSLinx I have to jump through that hoop.
If the PV is setup with handshaking then either the null cable or the null adaptor might not be passing those lines which would also mean you can’t connect. Best thing to do is get a standard straight through cable with all of the lines being passed.
Keep in mind that to do an upload (to your PC) the PV will probably go off line. I’m not sure about this so if someone else wants to chime in please do. With that said if the PV has memory card slot you should be able to get the program via it.

Firejo-The handshaking is one of the things I was worried about with the null-null.

I checked with the com ports, there is only 1 com port listed in my device manager. It's a new computer, Probook 6570b. I haven't tried the usb adapter, although I did find one a few minutes ago.

I tried the auto-config, but it couldn't find the right settings, and while reading the help file I noticed that you need to know the device number (or something like that), and I don't know what this terminal's number is. Tried 0-5 with no luck.

I'll try with the usb adapter, but more importantly I'll see if I can drum up an normal RS-232 cable. I really think that is my problem.

I was amused with my null-null solution, I have to admit.

Go to config screen

On the panelview push the left and right arrows at the same time a couple of time to get into the config screen. Then you can scroll down to the printer settings and disable it if needed.

Most of the old Panelviews have what looks to be an rs232 port
but in most cases it is only for a print.er

The other port that is being used on the panelview is the one used
for comms and for uploads and down loads
unless it is solely an rs232 panelview.

What we really need to know so that we can help you
is the full catalogue number of the panelview.

It will be 2117xxxxxxxxxxx

which will point to the comms that is used by your panelview
from there we will be able to guide you in your quest

I can get the catalog number. I did read about the printer port/RS-232 confusion, but the port I'm plugging into says RS-232 very specifically, so I figured I was on the right track. Nevertheless, I'll grab the catalog number and we will see what we will see. It may be a case of assuming and all that on my part.

Okay, I see now that that the model I am dealing with only has a DH+ comm port, so that answers the question. I'm trying to talk to a printer port. Time to do a bit more research and figure out how to talk to it via DH+.

Your Panelview is a

Allen-Bradley 2711-T10C8L1 PanelView 1000 Color Touch/DH+/RS232-Printer DC power

The Rs232 port I believe is solely for a serial Printer and is labelled Rs232

I feel your only comms option is to access the program via DH+

Fyi on the older panelviews. When you upload to your pc the program runs fine. It is only when you download to the panelview does it shutdown.

I can settle the debate on the expected function of the RS-232 port with a citation from the PanelView Standard User Manual (2711-UM014), page 43:

On Remote I/O, DH+, DF1, DeviceNet, EtherNet/IP, or ControlNet terminals, this port also connects to the RS-232 port of a computer for transferring applications.

The RS-232 port on the DH-485 or RS-232 (DH-485) terminal is used to connect a printer but not for file transfers.

I agree that if the serial port isn't working that putting the PanelView into Configuration Mode and using the flash card slot is the way to go. Since it's a Series F, it almost certainly had Version 3.0 or later firmware and will support ATA Flash cards, including FAT16-formatted CompactFlash cards in Type II PCMCIA adapters.

Two words say it all for transfers to and from panelview standards:
memory card

Get one, the right one for your model (should be easy with a series F), and once you have proven it, get a stack of them, or at least enough to backup all your apps twice. One copy for any tech to grab, and one copy locked away somewhere.

If you add a runtime accessible "goto config" button you can perform transfers without shutting down the HMI, although there are a number of other factors that might affect what happens to bits of data when you restart the application. If "Write to Controller on Power up" is ticked, or certain button types are used, things in the PLC can go "uh oh" by surprise if you are not very careful in your examination of what's there and when/how the logic in the PLC uses it.

So the operators are probably right when they say if you shut it down it screws them.

Memory Card.
It's the fastest and most maintenance tech friendly way to deal with r&r of a panelview standard (or plus) in my opinion.

Last edited: