Wire colour code

jmsmoreira

This has probably been discussed here before, but I have made a search and couldn't find the answer I was looking for...

What is the colour code for the wires in an electrical cabinet, in Europe?

I believe it should be acording to EN 60204-1, but I have to tell I don't like to use the same colour for DC+ and DC-...

DC+ is dark blue (first one from left)
DC- is light blue (in the middle)
Took the first picture I could find with both colours. Colours may vary in shades of blue but you see the contrast in the picture.
Free-shipping-Vintage-multicolour-white-black-red-green-blue-knitted-electrical-wire-pendant-light-p-v.jpg

Last edited:
I think the standard indicates that you should use dark blue for both + and -.
We use:

Dark Blue = DC+
White = DC-
Black = Phase
Light Blue = Neutral (so don't use light blue for DC-)
Orange = Voltsfree contact
Green/Yellow = Earth

There is actually three shades of blue. Dark blue, blue and light blue.
The ones in the picture above is Purple/violett and Light blue if my eyes is not mistaken.

And DON'T use Yellow or Green wires, it is not allowed.

Last edited:
I've seen:

Dark blue = DC control +/-
Red = AC control phase/neutral
White = Analog signals
Black = Power
Blue = AC neutral
Orange = Remote power source
Green-yellow = Ground

I use:

Dark blue = DC control +V
Gray = DC control 0V
Red = 24VAC control phase
White= 24VAC control neutral
Purple = Analog signals
Black = AC Power
Light Blue = AC neutral
Orange = Remote power source
Green-yellow = Ground

I have come across a few machines where an interlink from another machine has unknown power supplied from the other machine (could be AC or DC) so all the interlock wires are colored Yellow.

Also, have come across a few times where wires to a DC motor are Purple.

And analog signals using shielded pair cables of either Red/Black or White/Black.

I have come across a few machines where an interlink from another machine has unknown power supplied from the other machine (could be AC or DC) so all the interlock wires are colored Yellow.

Also, have come across a few times where wires to a DC motor are Purple.

And analog signals using shielded pair cables of either Red/Black or White/Black.

Yellow and Green can't be used because Green/yellow = Ground so we use Orange.

We are not talking about cable colours but discrete wire colours for the wiring inside control panels.

What about 'brown - blue - black'? Is it no longer the European standard?

Brown, Black, Gray, L. Blue, and Green/Yellow are wire colours for power CABLES. (L1,L2,L3,N,GND)

We don´t use the brown as a discrete wire colour anymore.

to add on.

We often use dark blue for DC+ and dark blue with a white line for DC-.

I've seen quite a few German-built machines where DC+ was brown and DC- was blue. Since when did it stop being the standard?

I said we don't use brown. I didn't say it can not be used.

Standard colours?
IEC 60204-1 parag: 13.2.4:

"When colour-coding is used for identification of conductors (other than the protective conductor (see 13.2.2) and the neutral conductor (see 13.2.3), the following colours may be used:
BLACK, BROWN, RED, ORANGE, YELLOW,GREEN,BLUE (including Light Blue), VIOLET, GREY, WHITE, PINK, TURQUOISE.

For safety reasons, the colour GREEN and colour YELLOW should not be used... (see my previous post)"

There are no standards but recomendations like:

IEC 60204-1 parag: 13.2.4:

"BLACK: AC and DC power circuits
RED: AC control circuits
BLUE: dc control circuits
ORANGE: excepted circuits in accordance with 5.3.5"