Replacing SLC 5/04 with SLC 5/05 - AND eliminate DH+

xC0MMAND0x

Good day,

Client has an SLC 5/04 that is on DH+. There are an unknown number of PLCs (5-20) that are READING from this SLC 5/04 via DH+.

They would like to replace it with a spare SLC 5/05 they have (which has Ethernet) and change the comms to message over Ethernet.

Is there a way to see who all is messaging over DH+ to this 5/04? Or see all "active connections" so we can methodically replace them?

I hope what I'm asking makes sense.

Good day,

Client has an SLC 5/04 that is on DH+. There are an unknown number of PLCs (5-20) that are READING from this SLC 5/04 via DH+.

They would like to replace it with a spare SLC 5/05 they have (which has Ethernet) and change the comms to message over Ethernet.

Is there a way to see who all is messaging over DH+ to this 5/04? Or see all "active connections" so we can methodically replace them?

I hope what I'm asking makes sense.

First you need to identify everything on the DH+. Use RSLinx and make a list.
Second you need to look at all the programs for MSG blocks. If you have not used MSG blocks learn it. The MSG will indicate which addresses the MSG is being sent to.
Make a chart that will indicate what the communications are, from what address to what address. There may be some bi-directional for handshaking that the data is transferred.
Are there any Panelviews or other HMI's on the DH+? Don't forget those.

Thank you for the response, John.

I suppose I was looking for a "shortcut" or "easy way" to do this. That would be the manual way - and I think this is what we are going to have to do unless anybody else has other ideas.

Thanks.

There is however I forget the name of the software, it is basically like Wireshark for PLC networks. I am looking for it at the moment, if I find what the name of it was I will post it. It does require an adapter box to your computer. There may be other methods but that is one I am aware of.
Or someone more DH+ savvy will come up with a better idea.

Frontline Test Equipment's NetDecoder software is the only modern DH+ analysis tool. It's what I used back when A-B networking was my full time job.

It's still a big task to analyze exactly what data is coming from where, especially when it's sent on-demand. Expect to very carefully analyze every MSG instruction in every controller on the network.

Frontline Test Equipment's NetDecoder software is the only modern DH+ analysis tool. It's what I used back when A-B networking was my full time job.

It's still a big task to analyze exactly what data is coming from where, especially when it's sent on-demand. Expect to very carefully analyze every MSG instruction in every controller on the network.

That's the one. Of course the guy who has a quote on the products home page beats me to the punch on finding the name. lol

Great responses - thank you. Any other considerations when upgrading to SLC 5/05 from SLC 5/04? The DH+ messaging was the big concern - they are slowly moving everything to Ethernet.

Great responses - thank you. Any other considerations when upgrading to SLC 5/05 from SLC 5/04? The DH+ messaging was the big concern - they are slowly moving everything to Ethernet.

Cost. That will depend on how many you got to swap. Lots of I/O? Think about ML1400 or even CompactLogix if I/O count is low for each machine. At some point the SLC's will get real pricey like the PLC5's.

This may be a stupid question, but are the PLC-5/20's DH+ capable only or are they -5/20E's? Are you swapping all those out too?