SLC 5/05 to 5/05 Messaging

I want to create a message to send the state of a single input from a SLC 5/05 processor to a remote 5/05 processor over ethernet. Can anyone give me a quick crash course in setting this message up. Message will be a "write", I'm guessing I need to MOV the state of the input to an "N" type data file and message the entire word to another "N" type data file in the other processor. I guess I most want to understand what the "control block" and Control block length" is/ refers to/ and needs to be. Observing other messages in the program the "control blocks are "N" type data files but the do not match the Data Table address (from or to) in the message setup...??? Thank you all in advance.

I want to create a message to send the state of a single input
from a SLC 5/05 processor to a remote 5/05 processor over ethernet.
Can anyone give me a quick crash course in setting this message up.
and Control block length" is.

The Control block length will be 51 words
Your best bet is to read the help file for a MSG in the RSLogix 500
Create a new Integer file or select an address at the end of an existing file
When you add a MSG and Right click on it from there set your addresses
and comms type for port 1, it will then create the 51 words needed

I'm guessing I need to MOV the state of the input to an "N" type data file
and message the entire word to another "N" type data file in the other processor.

The above quoted detail looks right to me

I want to create a message to send the state of a single input from a SLC 5/05 processor to a remote 5/05 processor over ethernet. Can anyone give me a quick crash course in setting this message up. Message will be a "write", I'm guessing I need to MOV the state of the input to an "N" type data file and message the entire word to another "N" type data file in the other processor. I guess I most want to understand what the "control block" and Control block length" is/ refers to/ and needs to be. Observing other messages in the program the "control blocks are "N" type data files but the do not match the Data Table address (from or to) in the message setup...??? Thank you all in advance.

You're on the right track. Whether you choose to read or write is determined by which PLC hosts the MSG function. It could work either way. You might want to consider doing it as a write and only triggering the MSG function when the data changes in the "source", or "producer" PLC. This would reduce network traffic that would be redundant in sending the same data repetitiously.

The control block has no relation to the MSG data word (or words). Consider the control block a sort of scratchpad that the processor uses for executing the message transfer.