25pin D-sub providing BCD signals to Compact Logix

Mister Mac

Hi everyone,

I have an industrial scales which can provide BCD signals out of a 25pin female D-sub port.
I want to be able to read in the weight into a Conpactlogix PLC. Can I get a converter to convert these to ethernet and read them in as a DINT or must I wire each core of the cable into DI cards?

Thanks

You can wire them into the DI card of the PLC or you can buy a BCD / Analog converter and wire it into the AI input.

what is voltage on the subd connector ?? probably only 5 volts, so you would need a lot of transistors to convert it to 24 volts. It is good possible though. just some simple transistors and resistors and lots of inputs on the PLC.
I would keep it digital as analog signals in PLC are only 10 bit or around.
If you only need signal weight is correct, i would make it with an arduino (cheap and fast)
even ethernet is possible.

If your BCD output voltage is 5 VDC, you could get a CompactLogix TTL Input module, model 1769-1G16. It has 5 vdc inputs using TTL logic. The only caveat is that at a 0 to 0.8 volts input, the TTL inputs are True or ON, and Off at 5 volts. If that matches your BCD output (or you can invert the BCD output), then you can feed each into the 16-channel 1769-1G16.