Reason to use Rockwell Studio 5000 and not RSLx5K Version 20???

Eoghan

Hello.
looking for a good link to compare / contrast as to why I should specify Studio 5000 on a new project and not RSLogix5000?
Are there any hardware compatabilities ( presume V20 programs will run on any hardware platform that supports V21/V23)

Advantages I see Studio5000 has are:
.Supports new 5500 servo family
.Allows PLC comments and texts to be saved online in processor and retrieved during upload.
Are there any other 'big win' advantages over Versio 20?
Thanks.

Hello.
looking for a good link to compare / contrast as to why I should specify Studio 5000 on a new project and not RSLogix5000?
Are there any hardware compatabilities ( presume V20 programs will run on any hardware platform that supports V21/V23)

Advantages I see Studio5000 has are:
.Supports new 5500 servo family
.Allows PLC comments and texts to be saved online in processor and retrieved during upload.
Are there any other 'big win' advantages over Versio 20?
Thanks.

Not sure if I'd call it a 'big win' but one thing I liked in Version 21 over version 20 was a subtle change they made in the UDT´s. In version 20 when you created a UDT and called a variable say "Part1", if you subsequently decided to change it to "PartA" you had to correct it in the UDT and do a find and replace in the Program to correct "Part1" to "PartA". In version 21 if you change the name "Part1" to "PartA" in the UDT, the program is automatically updated. Its not a hugh advantage but its one of those "Nice to Have" things.

Also while they dont exist yet the L8x controllers will only work with Studio 5000 and not RsLogix 5000. Also the big win you will have is when you see version 24 and its Logic Organizer view. I personally think that will be worth the price of admission.

Studio 5000 gives you the ability to store comments and program documentation on the ERM series CompactLogix and the L7x ControlLogix controllers. You can use version 20 with those controllers, but I don't believe you have the option to download descriptions if you're using 20.

Guys, please understand that Studio5000 is just a "Launcher". Yes it correlates to FIRMWARE features as "RSLogix" is the only software platform to be integrated into the "Studio5000" platform at this time. Realize Studio5000 isn't just going to be for "PLC" programming.

Studio5000 will be Rockwell's "centralized" platform for all things Rockwell...(over some long period of time).

Stuido5000 --> Will launch "RSLogix500" for PLC Programming
Studio5000 --> Will launch "FTView ME/SE" for HMI development
Studio5000 --> Will launch <insert rockwell software here>

I was told v24 should be released tomorrow.

Guys, please understand that Studio5000 is just a "Launcher". Yes it correlates to FIRMWARE features as "RSLogix" is the only software platform to be integrated into the "Studio5000" platform at this time. Realize Studio5000 isn't just going to be for "PLC" programming.

Studio5000 will be Rockwell's "centralized" platform for all things Rockwell...(over some long period of time).

Stuido5000 --> Will launch "RSLogix500" for PLC Programming
Studio5000 --> Will launch "FTView ME/SE" for HMI development
Studio5000 --> Will launch <insert rockwell software here>

I was told v24 should be released tomorrow.

Already? Didn't v23 just come out?

Also, I'm pretty sure Studio 5000 wasn't going to have anything to do with FTView at all. It was going to be the launcher for the new HMI Designer module to be used with the upcoming Panelview 5000 series. Although, whether or not we'll ever see the PV5000 is in question. Rockwell started rolling them out in 2011 before they promptly disappeared, never to be spoken of again. Which is a shame since I heard they were going to run Linux on the back end. I wish they'd pursue it. FTView is a good programming environment for a SCADA system, but it's terrible for a machine-level HMI. My guess is they're trying to figure out where the PV5000 is going to "fit" in their product line. Sounds like they're reluctant to get rid of the Panelview Plus (probably for legacy support and development reasons), even though I think a lot of people on this forum would not be sad to see that product go.

Last edited: