120 Volt AC Wire Color When Not Used for Control

Tim Ganz

I have a panel with a 480 x 120 3KVA transformer. It powers a 1 HP 120 Volt AC Motor, A 120 Volt AC Laptop Outlet and it also has a 120 x 24 Volt Dc Power Supply.

There are 2 120 Volt small solenoids in the field but they will be given power through a relay which is switched by 24 Volts DC.

My plan was to use Black, White , Green on the 120 volts AC in this as it's just AC power not AC controls which would be red?

I guess power to the 2 field solenoids could be red?

All the controls are 24 Volts DC in Blue and white with blue stripe.

Is my plan correct?

With 120VAC I tend not to make the control/power distinction. If it is 102VAC I make the power wire red. While this may not be technically correct it always made the most sense to me. And as indicated in other threads, if you keep it consistent either way you should be fine.

Keith

I use red if the wire size is 16AWG and black if its 14AWG or larger. The reason: these are the wire colors we keep in stock. Shouldn't matter much as long as you label them correctly.