Plc and HMI Software??

thiefgold0913

Hello.
I am a student in the automation field and I would like to know what options are there for programming software's with PLC & HMI when funds are limited. I've worked mostley with allen bradley and know there prices are outrageous for one person to pay.
Any suggestions will be helpful.

look at Unitronics - Vision range - has integral HMI and software is free

Greetings,

Much will depend upon what your requirements are when looking for a controller and HMI. You can get really cheap with Smart Relays - limited number of I/O and limited functionality. You can then look at micro PLCs where some offer expandability and more functionality, including serial ports for interfacing with HMIs.

If you are looking at the latter, you may want to consider an embedded PLC from Triangle Research. All of their new PLCs include an Ethernet port.

http://www.eternity-sales.com/tri-plc/tri-plc.htm

They offer starter kits that include software and cables.

On the HMI side, the move is towards touch screens. Pricing will vary widely, depending upon manufacturer. We, as a distributor market a touch screen series from KEP. Screen size will range from 4.3" to 15". Pricing starts at $285.00 for the 4.3" screen. Software is included.

http://www.eternity-sales.com/KEP/MMI8000.htm

If you are looking for an HMI Software package, KEP offers Infilink. There is a two hour run license included with the download. If you are not running an application, you can use this software free of charge with the the controller. Infilink includes Kepware OPC server for communications. More information and software download can be done through the following link:

http://www.eternity-sales.com/KEP/infilink.htm

Not completely free or cheap, but cost effective for a tight budget.

Disclosure - ESI is an authorized distributor for Triangle Research and Kessler Ellis.

Last edited:
Thanks for all of the suggestions.
The requirements I'm sticking with would be comparable to mircologix 1100 and a panelview 600.

BTW, in my opinion, Panelview 600s suck.
There are easier to use, less expensive, better software alternatives out there.
Some manufacturers offer free support, which is worth its weight in gold, especially when you are starting out.
Rockwell is fine when your employer is footing the bill but not good when its coming out of a small guys personal pocket.

I would recommend a Click PLC from Automation Direct along with a software based HMI like AdvancedHMI so you dont have to buy a panel yet.

Thanks for all of the suggestions.
The requirements I'm sticking with would be comparable to micrologix 1100 and a panelview 600.
So you want to save money, but you are sticking with the most expensive PLC and HMI in the land? Something has to give.

All PLC and HMI manufacturers are highly competitive. Pick any job, and any manufacturer will have a complete range of products to do the job.
Automation Direct's Click is one of the lowest price PLC's. I've used many of them, and so have many on this site. Click software is free. Next in line is the DL series. Software is under $500.00. Free trial with a 100 element limit.
They have a PAC too. Software is free.
Nothing wrong with C'More HMI's, but I haven't tried one.

I use KEP HMI's, from Stephen Luft. Their HMI will work with (almost?) any PLC. Prices are excellent, quality is great, software is free. Send an email for support - you get a quick and accurate answer.

o_OWhile your opinion is yours to have, if you want to be successful in the industrial automation world you’ll need to know how to work with Allen Bradley equipment. Some people don’t like them but they are one of the major players in North America and the world. It’s also good to have knowledge of other PLC, HMI’s, Drive’s, etc… but I would stick with the major brands to start off with. I’d also refrain from making statements like “PanelView 600’s suck”. There are a lot of people that don’t agree with you on that (and any other negative comments about other PLC brands) and you’re going to put people off who then won’t want to help you. You might not like PV’s or Rockwell in general, but read through these posts and you’ll see there are a lot of them out there and a lot of people here are well versed in AB equipment and they didn’t get that way because they think AB (or PV 600’s) suck.

So you want to save money, but you are sticking with the most expensive PLC and HMI in the land? Something has to give.

All PLC and HMI manufacturers are highly competitive. Pick any job, and any manufacturer will have a complete range of products to do the job.
Automation Direct's Click is one of the lowest price PLC's. I've used many of them, and so have many on this site. Click software is free. Next in line is the DL series. Software is under $500.00. Free trial with a 100 element limit.
They have a PAC too. Software is free.
Nothing wrong with C'More HMI's, but I haven't tried one.

I use KEP HMI's, from Stephen Luft. Their HMI will work with (almost?) any PLC. Prices are excellent, quality is great, software is free. Send an email for support - you get a quick and accurate answer.

+1 on KEP(Weintek)......best bang for your buck for HMIs.

o_OWhile your opinion is yours to have, if you want to be successful in the industrial automation world you’ll need to know how to work with Allen Bradley equipment. Some people don’t like them but they are one of the major players in North America and the world. It’s also good to have knowledge of other PLC, HMI’s, Drive’s, etc… but I would stick with the major brands to start off with. I’d also refrain from making statements like “PanelView 600’s suck”. There are a lot of people that don’t agree with you on that (and any other negative comments about other PLC brands) and you’re going to put people off who then won’t want to help you. You might not like PV’s or Rockwell in general, but read through these posts and you’ll see there are a lot of them out there and a lot of people here are well versed in AB equipment and they didn’t get that way because they think AB (or PV 600’s) suck.
The OP did not express these views, on the contrary, he is almost sold on PV.