Indirect Addressing In RSLogix-5000

cmoody

I need some help with Indirect Addressing where I used the conversion tool to convert an RSLogix-5 program to an RSLogix-5000 program.

Conversion

That was the first mistake using the conversion program
You need to post what it was in the PLC5 and what it did
when it converted

RSLogix-5

EQU
SOURCE A: N50:[R6:0.POS]
SOURCE B: N[N49:21]:[R6:0.POS]

RSLogix-5000

EQU
SOURCE A: N50[R6_000_POS]
SOURCE B: N[149_21][R6_000_POS]

What would you have used to convert it? I haven't ever converted an RSLogix-5 to RSLogix-5000 before. This program has a ton of indirect addressing in it.

If it has a ton of stuff that doesn't convert using the tool, just re-write the program.

It might take a little longer but IMHO it's worth the time to make use of the different name based tag structure in RS Logix 5000.

Cheers

Mark

Examples

I am attaching three files

1. Original PLC5 with serious in-directs and in-directs to a sub
routine.

2. A logix5000 file of a hand conversion in process
you will notice that rung to rung comparesions the code
looks identical, even using ints instead of Dints and no
double aliases
3. A test program showing how the indirect addressed sub routine
was converted to an AOI.

It it will take some time but careful comparisons will give you tons of answers.

Will send them in three postings

Well, the problem is, our company made a contract with a company to convert their PLC-5 program and get it operational and didn't take into any consideration all of these things. It's a huge program and would take a long time to create the tags and rewrite the program. I'm down to about 42 errors right now and started out with 168. Hopefully most of it will work but this indirect addressing is giving me a fit.

Okay, thanks for the replies and help. It will take me a little while to go through all of the replies but, I greatly appreciate it. This is my first time converting a program like this.

Honestly, you may not think it now but if you convert the program manually, using the RS5000 tag structure, you will save yourself time in the future.

I had some PLC code, albeit not that big, that was written by a contractor, and was converted from PLC 5. Everytime I had to fault find or make a few changes, I would cringe at how the code looked.

Luckily it was all commented OK, so I re-wrote the code to use RS5000's tag structure and now if I have to go to that machine everything looks good.

I have to say I am RS5000 through and through.

Cheers

Mark