OT - Australian GPO

Kidblue

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi,

Trying to source some replacement panel sockets for a job bound for Australia. We have used the Stego, purpose made rail mounted panel type with quick release terminals, but the client would prefer to see the panel wiring completely enclosed and inaccessible to personnel. Can find plenty online but nearly all based in Australia - need them in the UK asap!

Any ideas?

Regards,

Rob

Could you not mount the socket on a back box and fit it in the panel, I have never seen any with the wires totally obscure, if its inside a locked panel whats the problem.

Could you not mount the socket on a back box and fit it in the panel, I have never seen any with the wires totally obscure, if its inside a locked panel whats the problem.

The "problem" is the person who wrote the spec. Ther are way too many of them around here - no trade background, sit at a desk all day, wouldn't know the first thing about electricity and electrical training, but has a piece of paper saying "I am a safety expert" and so will override the decisions of far more qualified people.

Legrand (www.legrand.com) supply IP20 rated outlets that are din rail mount.
these have exchangeable inserts.
they have the Australian sockets

The only other cchoice is to buy CLIPSAL Din mount sockets from here.
these are totally enclosed

The "problem" is the person who wrote the spec. Ther are way too many of them around here - no trade background, sit at a desk all day, wouldn't know the first thing about electricity and electrical training, but has a piece of paper saying "I am a safety expert" and so will override the decisions of far more qualified people.

Agree!

Thanks for the replies. Clipsal was looked out but we would struggle to have them delivered in time (struggling to find a UK distributor).

These are the sockets we have used, but the client would prefer to see the cables etc. inaccessible...ant they are always right...right?!

http://www.stego.de/en/products/accessories/electrical-sockets/withwithout-fuse.html

Regards,

Rob

How about fitting a Makrolon/Clear plastic board over the exposed cables, have seen this many times where high voltage terminals/wires are exposed.

The legrand type are rear entry so it is easy to put the wiring in a piece of corrugated conduit.