L35E Serial Comm OK, Processor Not Showing

karlsigl

I have an L35E connected to a computer using a serial cable. I can configure a DF1 driver and select Auto-Configure and it seems happy. But RSWho does not show a PLC under the DF1 driver. I have tried pressing the CH0 port reset button but I think the communication settings are fine, it just can't talk to the CPU successfully.

Has anyone encountered this and how did they resolve it.

quick guesses ...

did the AutoConfigure say "Successful" ... if it didn't, then it is NOT "happy" ...

do you have more than one driver trying to use the same COM/Serial port connection on your computer? ... that won't work ... delete any others ...

did you click the little Plus-sign icon next to the DF1 driver? ... sometimes the PLC is there – but the screen won't update unless you click the Plus-sign to expand it ...

if this doesn't help, can you post a screen shot of what you're seeing? ... is RSLinx showing you NOTHING under the DF1 driver? ... or is it showing you a big yellow Question mark? ...

Screen Captures

Here are screen shots showing the various parts of RSLinx.

Thanks for taking the time to reply. This one has me stumped.

RSLinx RS-232 DF1 Driver Config.jpg RSLinx RS-232 DF1 Driver Summary.jpg RSLinx RS-232 RSWho Overview.jpg RSLinx RS-232 RSWho DF1 Info.jpg

your screen shots look fine ...

try turning EVERYTHING completely OFF - and then start it all up and try again ... if that works (which sometimes it will) then we chalk it up to an "electronic hairball" and get on with the job ...

just noticed something ...

your protocol says "Half Duplex" ... the one in my lab comes up as "Full Duplex" ... try changing that setting ...

when I manually set my Protocol for "Half Duplex" the Auto-Configure still comes up as "Successful" - but the processor doesn't show up on the RSWho screen ... maybe that's what's happening to you ...

weirdness ... I wouldn't have expected a "Successful" result with that Half-Duplex setting ... maybe this is a new one for the books ...

Last edited:
this is getting weirder ...

after I did a "Successful" Auto-Configure with the (manually set) Half-Duplex setting - I got EXACTLY the results you reported - and the one shown in your screen shots ... specifically - the L35E did not pop up ...

but ...

I left the system sitting on the back burner for several minutes - and when I came back the L35E had popped up on the screen - but it had a big red X on it ...

I deleted the DF1 driver completely - then added a new one ... this came up with the default Protocol setting of Full-Duplex ... I hit Auto-Configure - and everything worked like a charm ...

Last edited:
Back Burner Time

I will leave it alone for a while and see what pops up but am not optimistic.

Thanks again for you assistance.

well, even when it did pop up - it would NOT really communicate ... so I don't think that waiting is going to do you any good - I just mentioned what I saw to help put more details on the table ...

I notice that your screen shots show an Ethernet driver ... any chance that you could connect through that channel instead? ...

and just for discussion - what is the little "DCH0" LED doing on the front of the processor? ... I've never needed to mess with that one - but as I "understand" its function - it lights up solid green when Channel 0 is in its Default mode ... (note I might be wrong on that - but I'd bet more than pocket change that I'm right) ...

this one is cranking up extra points on my weird-o-meter ... please come back and let us know how you finally solve this ...

Last edited:
L35E Ethernet

Unfortunately, the Ethernet port got gafrugulled up a while ago so I only have the serial port to work with.

please read Post #9 again ... you might not have seen my question about the DCH0 LED ... (I think that was an edit on my end) ...

do you have a current offline file of the project? ... if so, check the CH0 settings there and post a screen shot ... I've got a 1769-L35E right here in my home lab - and I don't mind trying out whatever we can come up with as an experiment ... right now - I'm out of guesses ...

good luck with it ...

Ch 0 led

I did miss the comment / question about the CH 0 LED. If flashes ever so briefly about every 2 seconds.

I have tried using a push pin in the reset hole next to it without success. This is suppose to reset the communication configuration back to the factory default.

based on everything that's been posted so far, I'd bet (significantly more than pocket change) that your CH0 port is NOT in the default "programming type port" mode ... if the little push button trick doesn't reset it – then I'd say that you're not going to get anywhere without that Ethernet port ...

any specifics available that we might help you overcome your Ethernet problems? ...

another question – (actually a repeat) do you have a current copy of the project file? ... if so, maybe you could pull the battery and power down the processor ... MAYBE that would reset the CH0 port to its default – and MAYBE that would let you get inside ...

but ...

naturally you recognize the risk involved in trying that approach ...

Processor Reset / Ethernet Port Non-Functional

I have removed the battery when I first started having problems with this processor (at the end of last week).

The Ethernet port got messed up a while back during a firmware upgrade and has been non-functional since. I understand that with a Compact Logix once the Ethernet port is broken, only Rockwell can fix it.

Did you loose power when you were flashing it? when you flash did you use the Ethernet or serial?

When you flash a L35 or 32 it does not do anything to the Ethernet card only the processor... this is the reason you can flash via Ethernet

Pull the battery and jump the two pins (as a last resort) I have saved a couple of them by doing this