Problem Getting all my inputs and outputs to show up on FactoryTalk

camarojunky

I have FactoryTalk View communicating to my micrologix 1000 plc using RS Linx Classic and i get all my integers, bits, timers, counters, etc but I only get 1 input and 1 output. I create the RSLinx communication in FactoryTalk to use the tags - what am I doing wrong?o_O

You are probably getting one input word (16 bits) ad one output word. Try adding .0, .1 .2 etc. after the word reference to get the individual bits. Post a screenshot if you need further help.

Please post the exact text of your error message.

Is there a special reason you're using RSLinx Classic as the communications server instead of RSLinx Enterprise ? Do you plan to run the application on a PanelView Plus or always on a PC ?

It's possible... this is an old recollection from many years ago... that RSLinx might refuse to read or write the MicroLogix Input (Data Table 1) and Output (Data Table 0) data files.

Generally accepted practice is to read and write the integer data table (N7) and use logic to copy the I or O data into that table, rather than addressing the I and O data tables directly.

What will work *best* is getting the syntax correct.

The more details you can provide, the better the advice can get.

If you're communicating using DF1 or DH-485 protocol, then it should be RSLinx Enterprise that you're using, not RSLinx Classic. If you're setting up communications in FactoryTalk View Studio, then it is RSLinx Enterprise that you are using, and definitely not RSLinx Classic.

I don't know which model you're using, but the MicroLogix 1000 is available with 10, 16, or 32 discrete I/O, or with 20 discrete and 5 analog. So even if you're seeing one word each of I and O, it's far from a full compliment of I/O for a MicroLogix 1000. There should definitely be more I/O visible.

There was a data access anomaly with RSLinx Enterprise v5.21 and the MicroLogix 1000 Series A, where doing this very thing resulted in erroneous data.

What version of RSLinx Enterprise are you using?
What series is the controller?

You should also be able to read/write I/O Data File addresses directly from the MicroLogix 1000 and not need to map the addresses first.

When entering shortcut names for a PLC, SLC, or MicroLogix device, RSLinx Enterprise recognizes a slash "/" as a bit delimiter, but does not recognize a period "."

For example:

I:1/0 is acceptable

I:1.0 is not acceptable and generates an error.

Regards,
George