RSLinx & RSLogix500 DF1

rdombek778899

Has anyone run into a situation where RSLinx comms was successfully setup with a SLC500 PLC on Channel0 (DF1 driver, 19200) and upon opening RSLogix500, the comms drops out? I have a 64Bit Windows7 VM using a USB/Serial adapter (Prolific). This happens using multiple models of SLC500 (02, 03, 04) and Micrologix. Same thing happens using a 32Bit Windows VM.

What do you mean by "the comms drop out" ?

Also you can not use this cable with a 5/02 it does not have a RS232 port

that a comon problem with 64 bit systems

I had the same problem
From what I have been able to find out it has to do with the way windows handled the RS232 communications in the 64 bit systems
Some USB Adaptors work better then other but most will not hold the connections long.
The work around I found that works for me is to use 1761-NET-ENI and just connect using the Ethernet port. It works good, never had a dropped connection this way.
Hope it helps

It can often be the chipset or comms buffer on the USB/Serial adapter. It cannot handle the data throughput. You are trying to communicate to the same controller at the same time using two separate pieces of software. Once you have established comms in RSLinx Classic, stop it from autobrowsing the driver. Close RSLinx Classic and then go to RSLogix 500 and browse to the controller or go online. See if it holds up for you?

GaryS said:
...The work around I found that works for me is to use 1761-NET-ENI and just connect using the Ethernet port. It works good, never had a dropped connection this way.

The 1761-NET-ENI has a larger data buffer. This is why it may solve this problem for you.

Just one possibility.

Regards,
george

Last edited: