Proficy Machine Edition

nmk

I have a GE Fanuc 90-30 that I used proficy to communicate to it serially via port 2 on the cpu 351.when connection in Proficy, it connects, but as soon I disconnect, no way to reconnect without rebooting the computer.the serial port is usb virtual and works fine. I do use the icon in Proficy to disconnect, and it shoes disconnected, but if I try to reconnect, it will tell me it is used by another program. Any way, Proficy does not release the port. The LM90 serial test is running in the background and tried to stop it in win 7 task manager, but not listed. in win 7, device manger, refresh the port,but still needs to reboot. it takes a long time to debug this way.I also tried reconnectiong the cable, no change. any idea of how to release the serial port?

Have you tried a different USB/serial converter? I frequently connect serially using a converter I bought at Staples and have never experienced what you're seeing.

What version of Proficy Machine Edition? Anything earlier than 7.0 wasn't officially certified for Windows 7. It also wants Windows 7 Pro.

I have a GE Fanuc 90-30 that I used proficy to communicate to it serially via port 2 on the cpu 351. The LM90 serial test is running in the background and tried to stop it in win 7 task manager, but not listed. Any idea of how to release the serial port?

You need to find out when LM90 serial test is started and Prevent it or turn it off. It should not be running, it is likely using the port.

You may want to try a "clean" re-install of PME if all else fails. Instructions for this can be found here: http://forums.ge-ip.com/showthread.php?t=16321

the issue with serial port i am experiencing is only with GE PROFICY 8.5 VERSION. Nothing like this occurs with rockwell softwares with same converter but not same laptop. Ihave been told by tech support when purchased the software that only runs on win 7, i was hoping to run it on win xp pro(that's where I have my rockwell software).LM90 starts when proficy starts but can not be shutdown, or at least I do not know how.after rebooting, connection could be established once. I will examine the link mentioned above.unusaul problem thanks alot for your help

the issue with serial port i am experiencing is only with GE PROFICY 8.5 VERSION. Nothing like this occurs with rockwell softwares with same converter but not same laptop. Ihave been told by tech support when purchased the software that only runs on win 7, i was hoping to run it on win xp pro(that's where I have my rockwell software).LM90 starts when proficy starts but can not be shutdown, or at least I do not know how.after rebooting, connection could be established once. I will examine the link mentioned above.unusaul problem thanks alot for your help
As you may know 'hope' is irrelevant in politics and in automation, facts are king.
Fact is you have something running that should not be running. Fact is it cannot be shut down when it should be shut down.
These two facts tell me that your system may need to be reinstalled if you cannot fix it any other way.

Fact 1 :when I disconnect in Proficy from the PLC, I can not connect a gain without rebooting.
Fact 2 : after disconnecting, when I try to open LM90, a dialog box pops up, some like "another instance of LM90 is running, can't open another.." I could not find where in the TASK MANAGER's apps and processes this instance is.
Assumption : I think it has to do with my work laptop configurations and permissions, even though I am an admin on this laptop.at this point, I am going to leave that PLC alone and try another venue to achieve my goal. Thank you

I am really new to LM90 and proficy machine language. is the hardware and software 100% compatible between Lm90 and Proficy? and any tips on how to convert LM90 to proficy (90-30) version 7.0?

what are things to look for when converting from Lm90 to proficy.

Thank you.