Binary to Decimal Logix5000

Bering C Sparky

Lifetime Supporting Member
Its me again.

I was able to change the Analog value from Binary to Decimal in the Logic Tags but it still shows up in the program instuctions (MOV, etc) as Binary.

It is only doing this for the Analog Input though.
The Analog output is showing up in Decimal.

Im looking into it but if anyone knows how to change this please let me know.

Thanks again to everyone for all your input and help.
Without you guys it would be much harder to get over some of these speedbumps.

BCS

The PLC, like any computer, doesn't know decimal. All it deals with is binary. The Logix software can display the value in any format you wish though - binary, hex, decimal, ascii...open the controller tags browser and look for the "style" column. It will probably say "Binary", change this to "decimal" and you should be on your way

Hi ASF,
Thanks for the reply,
I did change it in the controller tag and it shows up there in decimal now but still in Binary in the actual program instructions. (see post #1)

Maybe I did not change it in the right place?

It shows up in Decimal everwhere except in the program instuctions.

I got called away to do something else and just getting back to this.
Going to delete the instruction and then add it back and see what happens.

BCS

Maybe right click on the tag and select "edit properties". Down the bottom there's a "style" option. I'm speaking from memory so I can't give you exact information, but have a look at that...

ASF,
The style box is grayed out and will not give a drop down.
I will keep looking into this.

Thank you for your time and help, it is much appreciated, if you come across any other idea please let me know.

This is not stopping me from continuing forward but it is just another small detail that I need to work out. (Would be nice to see the value in the program in a format that is usable and not have to go to the tags each time.)
I know it can be done as we have a ControlLogix system running onboard and it shows up decimal in that program.

Thanks again.

BCS

In the RSLogix 5000 Tag Database view, you can set the "Style" column for the default style you want a Tag to be displayed in.

For integer values, that's usually Decimal. But you can set it for Binary if you intend to use the INT or DINT tag in a bitwise fashion.

Make sure you've selected the Edit Tags tab (at the bottom of the Tag Database View), rather than the Monitor Tags tab.

In Monitor mode you can watch the values of the Tags update, but you can't change the tag name or datatype or display style.

In Edit mode you should be able to make changes to the Style column.

I don't have a CPU handy right now so I can't say if being online or offline makes a difference.