Crimson 3 Gateway Blocks

Bullzi

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi,
I have to get 5 floating point numbers (Real) out of a CLX L33 Processor via Modbus TCP/IP. I have a Red Lion G09 HMI in the network so I was thinking that using a Gateway Block would be the easiest way to go. I have never used Gateway Blocks before so I would appreciate it if someone with experience would take a look.
I have sent up the network protocol as Modbus TCP/IP slave. I have added a gateway block with 5 registers with Real as the type. I then dragged in the tank levels that I need. Is that it? Is it really that simple?
I have attached a screen shot of the set up. If anyone has any comments please let me know.

G3 Gateway Block.jpg

I have used Gateway blocks between S7 PLC, G308 and Emerson drives via Modbus, not TCP/IP tough, without problems.

I can't see your snapshot properly. Too blurry.

Zoom in and post as a *.PNG if you can, or ZIP and post the whole *.CD3 file.

Gateway Blocks really are the most simple way to cyclically transfer data from device to device via the G3.

There's a good description in the User Manual starting on Page 31: Using Communications -> Protocol Conversion -> Master/Slave.

Hi,
I have to get 5 floating point numbers (Real) out of a CLX L33 Processor via Modbus TCP/IP. I have a Red Lion G09 HMI in the network so I was thinking that using a Gateway Block would be the easiest way to go. I have never used Gateway Blocks before so I would appreciate it if someone with experience would take a look.
I have sent up the network protocol as Modbus TCP/IP slave. I have added a gateway block with 5 registers with Real as the type. I then dragged in the tank levels that I need. Is that it? Is it really that simple?
I have attached a screen shot of the set up. If anyone has any comments please let me know.

If all you are doing is pulling data from the CLX via Modbus TCP, you don't need gateway blocks. Gateway blocks are most often used either to use the GXX device as a Slave, or to pass data between external devices.

To pull data from the Modbus Registers...
Go to an empty Protocol, Set it as Modbus TCP/IP Master, Set the proper IP Address for the Device that is automatically created, then create a tag for each register you want to pull.

Thanks everyone,
I am already pulling the tank level data in from the CLX to the G09 for using in some pages. I just want to make that data available to a 3rd party via Modbus TCP/IP.
I have attached the whole file for your review. Let me know if I am on the right track.

Thanks everyone,
I am already pulling the tank level data in from the CLX to the G09 for using in some pages. I just want to make that data available to a 3rd party via Modbus TCP/IP.
I have attached the whole file for your review. Let me know if I am on the right track.

Yes, you are on the right track. However, I would change the direction to G3 to Device sine the values in the CLX aren't writable (at least I would assume that tank levels aren't writable).

Yes, you are on the right track. However, I would change the direction to G3 to Device sine the values in the CLX aren't writable (at least I would assume that tank levels aren't writable).

Thanks JHarbin,
You are correct. I don't want anyone writing there own tank levels :p
I was wondering how that direction thing worked. Makes more sense now.
Thanks for the help!!