Allen Bradley Micro820 and C200 Panelview HMI

jmaty23

I am looking to connect an Allen Bradley Micro820 processor and an C200 HMI panel via Serial Connection.

Anyone have any suggestions?

CIP Serial

The Micro 820 embedded non-isolated RS232/RS485 combo serial port supports:

CIP Serial
• ASCII
• Modbus RTU

The PanelView Component multi-purpose serial RS-232 port supports:

Allen-Bradley CIP
• DF1
• DH-485
• Modbus
• Modbus ASCII
• Modbus Unsolicited
• Third-party point-to-point communication

For serial, CIP Serial is the go-to option for connecting Micro 800 controllers to PanelView Component terminals.

Some more info...

CIP Symbolic Client/Server

CIP Symbolic is supported by any CIP compliant interface including Ethernet (EtherNet/IP) and Serial Port (CIP Serial). This protocol allows HMIs to easily connect to the Micro820 controller. CIP Serial, supported on the Micro820 controller, makes use of DF1 Full Duplex protocol, which provides point-to-point connection between two devices.

The Micro800 controllers support the protocol through RS232 connection to external devices, such as computers running RSLinx Classic software, PanelView Component terminals (firmware revisions 1.70 and above), or other controllers that support CIP Serial over DF1 Full-Duplex, such as ControlLogix and CompactLogix controllers that have embedded serial ports.

CIP Communications Pass-thru

The Micro820 controllers support pass-thru on any communications port that supports Common Industrial Protocol (CIP). The maximum number of supported hops is one. A hop is defined to be an intermediate connection or communications link between two devices – in Micro800, this is through EtherNet/IP or CIP Serial.

Micro800 Programmable Controllers: Getting Started with CIP Client Messaging -

Publication: 2080-QS002A-EN-E - April 2013

Some assistance on setting it up...

521036 - Communications from Micro800, 830/850 to PVc via CIP Serial/Ethernet
Access Level: Everyone

Regards,
George

This is great info thank you. AB did not include an 8-pin serial port on the Micro820, they provided a 5 pin terminal for serial connection for some god awful reason. I will need to make my own cable and use CIP Serial for the connections.

Thanks for the help.

Micro 820 Serial Port Pin-Out

jmaty23 said:
...they provided a 5 pin terminal for serial connection for some god awful reason...

Yeah, bit of a strange step by todays standards alright. Here's the pin-out in case you haven't got it yet...

Micro 820 Serial Port Pin-Out.png

The reason for the serial port on terminals is because of support for the Modbus support. Many of the Modbus devices I have come across have no connectors at all, and simply run a 3-wire connector. It would make since to be able to have easier access for this without adding in extra connectors, let alone that they would need to be proprietary AB style connectors or adapters. This is the smallest processor allowing ethernet, so it would be the cheapest for use on a small system. These connectors also add cost.