SLC500 w/ Fixed I/O

ceilingwalker

Lifetime Supporting Member
Good day all,
We received a new machine that is controlled with a SLC500 (1747-L30C). I didn't even know SLC500 was offered with fixed I/O so I have a couple of questions, please. First, connecting to the unit with my laptop should be about the same as any other SLC, right? It only has an RJ-45 socket behind a little "door", then other sockets with what appear to be specialized connections for specific things (probably expansion modules?). My guess is that the RJ-45 is for a serial connection for RS485 protocol, right? So connect to my Keyspan then to the control?
My second question is, there is an EPROM on the lower far-left portion of the PLC. What exactly gets stored there? I ask because, when we fire the unit up, the processor error lamp lights and I am accustomed to that indicating there is no project loaded in the processor, for the SLC500's. I have no other information with this machine, no schematic, logic diagram, nothing. So if the project isn't saved to the EPROM it appears I will need to write project from scratch. As soon as I get more machine information I will post it as I am hoping someone here might have a press just like this that will at least give me a good starting point.
Thanks much

ceilingwalker,

the slc500 L30 series hasn't been available for quite a while.
so if this is a brand new machine, i would goto purchasing and tell them that you got a machine with a plc that hasn't been in production for approx 20 years, has no documentation at all, and have them look at the contract.

the connection you are talking about is for rs485 communications.

as far as the e-prom unit, it contains the program code only.
no rung comments or documentation.

this is about as far as i can help.

regards,
james

Thank you James Mcquade. It is not a brand new machine, it is an old-timer that we purchased. So the EPROM does store the ladder logic? I realize it wont have descriptions or address information as I don't have the original project available to me. I just wasn't sure if it stored information for the CPU only or if it also stored the project. When the machine is powered-up, the CPU LED fault light blinks. I am accustomed to that meaning there is no project loaded into the PLC. There is no battery in the battery slot however, if it is on the EPROM, that shouldn't be an issue, right?
Thank you for the coms info as well. I learned a long time ago not to assume anything, the hard way.

First, connecting to the unit with my laptop should be about the same as any other SLC, right? It only has an RJ-45 socket behind a little "door", then other sockets with what appear to be specialized connections for specific things (probably expansion modules?). My guess is that the RJ-45 is for a serial connection for RS485 protocol, right? So connect to my Keyspan then to the control?

NO!! if you connect anything to it other then a UIC or PIC you will blow up your PC (or Keyspan)

The SLC's have 24vdc on them and anything on your PC will only handle 5v

The cable you need is a 1747-UIC (see the links below)

http://www.plccable.com/allen-bradley-1747-uic-usb-to-dh485-factory-sealed-with-1747-c13/

http://www.plccable.com/allen-bradley-1747-uic-usb-to-dh485-usb-version-1747-pic-slc-500/

I inherited the same 1747-L30 last week. If you have an XP laptop (service pack 2 or earlier) you can use a PIC module via RSLinx. For newer pc's (I'm using a MAC with a 64bit Windows VM) you can use a UIC module via RSLinx. Sometimes the COM ports are finicky, but I found in RSLinx, if you stop then start the UIC driver, it usually works (for a while). You can use a standard straight through Ethernet cable from the UIC to the 1747-L30, BUT remove pins 3 and 6.

NO!! if you connect anything to it other then a UIC or PIC you will blow up your PC (or Keyspan)

The SLC's have 24vdc on them and anything on your PC will only handle 5v

The cable you need is a 1747-UIC (see the links below)

http://www.plccable.com/allen-bradley-1747-uic-usb-to-dh485-factory-sealed-with-1747-c13/

http://www.plccable.com/allen-bradley-1747-uic-usb-to-dh485-usb-version-1747-pic-slc-500/

This isn't the first time you saved me from disaster like this. My previous employer threw away about a dozen of those PIC's. Don't have one here. Since I buy all my cables and other hardware from you, do you sell these particular cables?

That controller has been obsolete from AB for many years, and you cannot purchase a new one from AB.

Once you find the program, do yourself a favor and swap that fixed SLC out for a Micrologix processor, 1100 or 1400 and then you have Ethernet communications and they even use the same programming software, so the conversion is very minimal.

This processor is less than $1000, so if you plan to keep this machine for a while it's a no-brainer.

If you do consider a swap, the fixed IO SLC put its outputs on top and its inputs on the bottom. If you do swap you'll have to rewire both ends or mount the Micrologix upside down. (Been there)

That controller has been obsolete from AB for many years, and you cannot purchase a new one from AB.
But there are still 1747-L30 units avaiable on Ebay and other places, quality not guaranteed!

The EEPROM will only contain the bare-bones ladder logic. If you want symbol, address descriptions, and rung comments, you will have to find a copy of the original program, or generate them yourself. I just finished doing comments for a program for the same model SLC 5/00 1747-L30C for a fellow site member, racear2865.

Last edited:
I got called to extract the program out of one of those last year. After two days and much headscratching, I went back to the site with a desktop computer, keyboard, mouse and a monitor. I had to borrow a pallet trolley to cart it all in, but it worked. And the client finally got the hint that it might be an idea to start thinking about upgrading their machine :D