SPI Protocol

kamenges

We have been asked to connect to a Conair temperature controller using the SPI protocol (the Society of the Plastics Industry). I can't find any documentation on what this protocol is and Conair is not being very forthcoming. Does anyone know where I can get a copy of this protocol?

Keith

Thank you for looking, osmanmom. I came across those also. However, in my case I will not have a device to act as a communication gateway. I will be building the ASCII strings myself. I need to know how to construct the strings. The links below tell me how to use each device but not how to construct the strings.

But that brings up another thought. Does anyone know of a gateway that would span Ethernet/IP to SPI protocol? That would be easier if that existed.

Keith

Hello,

Boneless, SPI can and does have more than one meaning. If you looked at the Conair PDF you would see:

For more information on the SPI protocol, you can obtain the
SPI Communication Protocol Manual by contacting:

So while SPI does have the meaning you reference, it also means:

SPI - The Society of the Plastics Industry and they did invent a protocol that is not the SPI from Motorola (IIRC).

Last edited:
osmanmom, that is very close. They reference the protocol I am talking about. But they don't get into ASCII string development. This document is more like a description of how to use a library that allows abstraction from the nuts-and-bolts of data transfer. It doesn't look like AnyBus makes an SPI translator or gateway. But that would have been nice.

Mark, I saw that same line in the manual. But there is nothing useful on the website and it seems that calling the number doesn't go anywhere.

Years ago AB made a module for the 1771 I/O family that provided an SPI interface. But that manual really doesn't get into transfer formats either.

With any luck Conair will be able to blow the dust off a document that they used to develop this protocol and will be willing to share.

Keith

Hello,

> But there is nothing useful on the website and it seems that calling the number doesn't go anywhere.

I called the number and got a voice machine so someone is there. And they have a contact page on their site.

It might be that you have to join to get the spec.

The PDF also says "Conair can provide an SPI-DDE driver". So, if you can get your hands on it and it working you can sniff the packets and see what is what. I cannot believe the protocol is that complicated.

My2c.

I don't consider an answering machine going anywhere. For all I know that thing has 200 messages on it. I left a voicemail but I'm not holding my breath.

I think you're right about the protocol sophistication. I found a manual online for an Omron temperature controller that supports SPI. They have two pages that show the general format of Get and Set telegrams. They are pretty straightforward the way it looks. I think we may just wait until we get the thing here and start firing ASCII strings at it until it talks back.

Keith

As stated above by Mark, this is NOT Serial Peripheral Interface. This is a command and response protocol definition from the Society of the Plastics Industry. The link hardware in my case is RS-485 but the protocol is not link specific. I am interfacing to a chiller from a company that makes alot of components for the plastics industry. It is just disappointing that this company isn't very helpful when it comes to interfacing using this protocol.

Keith

Last edited: