Electrical Drawings Naming

Tim Ganz

When you have drawings from the OEM that have to be modified by the end user to make the OEM eqipment work with the onsite equipment should those be called as built draings or should the drawings that the OEM did as the machine left be called the as built draings?

I have seen drawing sets named as built, OEM, as instaled, as commisioned, etc.

Just trying to determine what is right?

First off, I don't know what's "right", I only know that I tend to make these decisions based on when the drawings were released and who saw them or might have copies.

Often the OEM will release plans for approval before building. These I label with respect to their revision as R0, R1, and so on. Later, once the equipment arrives and is ready to be installed, I like to call these "As Built" along with the next revision level (As Built, R3). I generally don't worry too much about whether significant modifications were made by others (integration for example) until the work is complete. The one exception to that is when I have to make changes myself and then release a new, updated package to contractors. When that happens, I simply increment my revision level again.

In short, I like to keep track and only benchmark when the initial install was done by using the "As Built" designation. Otherwise revision designations are enough.

Tim,

The methodology for naming prints / revisions can get complicated, especially for a set of drawings that are several hundred pages.

this is what i have found to work very well over the last 20+ years.

revesions.
0 - as designed - review the prints and make corrections
1 - as approved - review prints again.
2 - as built - as the OEM built them
3 - as installed - this would be your modifications.
4 - modifications made later due to production changes
and so on.

The Prints themselves.
The title page / cover sheet should detail what the prints are. There should also be a revisions title block with the drawing name, date, revision and description of change.
in the lower right part of the drawing there is the standard title block that details the drawing. the drawing name was the number of the print, a dash, and then 0 to xx. xx being the revision.
There was also block that said superceeds and superceeded by.
this helps denote the revision level also. Government regulations required us to keep electronic copies of all prints.

For a 10-20 page set of drawings, we revised the whole set to the latest revision.

For large sets of drawings, the title page was very valuable.
we would update only the pages that changed. there would also be a revision block on the page. We updated the cover sheet as needed. This was harder to deal with, but a 200 page set of electrical drawings was easier to update.

One of the changes being implemented by Management was to have a page set with a defined border. We would update the border and then do a massive batch print. That satisfied the Government auditors.

As far as the drawing package
title page.
assembled view
M - Mechanical
E - Electrical
H - Hydraulic
P - Pneumatic
B - Bill of materials. BM - mechanical, BE electrical and so on.

hope this helps.
James

Last edited:
I have seen "AS BUILT" done bascically the same as Steve. In some cases it was noted in the revision note. In some cases the OEM chose to also stamp the drawing with a large text note or watermark. In both cases it was to be saved as a baseline for how the machine was shipped prior to installation. Ready to be installed. Often, several copies of AS BUILT prints get passed around during installation, they get marked with any changtes or additional notes as necessary and they are gathered up and made the basis for the next incremental revision number.

I concur with using revision notes only on a title page and the affected pages. I used Autocad in several flavors, but never seemed to get full projects from OEMS, just a collection of dwg files. For in house stuff, and for reproducing that first revision after installation, I would usually have all the sheets in one dwg file up to about 100 sheets arranged in a grid. This works well with Autcad E ladder utilities.

In all varieties of Acad, I would set up my viewports so I could re-use the same border, titles and parts of the title text common to the set. Then if you need to tweak the size a touch to make those 11 x 17 with just the right white space to fit in that heavy duty binder, you adjust one border page and mass edit the viewport properties if necessary so you don't have to go adjust 100 views or print settings, and if you want the rev number and notes to be common, that is also facilitated by this setup.

We go:

Rev A - Preliminary for Review (During Design)
Rev B - Issued Panel Construction
Rev C - Issued After Panel Checkout

Rev 0 - Issued after Panel Install is complete
Rev 1-xx - Each revision on site.

The letter and numbers would increment by 1 if there is multiple issues to customer. So Rev D could be Panel checkout....etc..