Which PanelView to Learn with? Software info..

Sherlock4me

Members,
Thanks largely to this site, I was steered towards a great CompactLogix model to build a home trainer. I've used RsLogix Mini 5000 to learn Tags, AOI's, Alma etc.... It has Analog, HSC, Ethernet, ver 20 and was affordable on EBay.
Soon the next step will need to be taken.
I am mixing in learning about PanelViews between PID.s, advancing in AOI's and etc...
Briefly, I was a water and waste man for 17 years with RsLogix 500, trouble-shooting controls, building U.L. Panels etc...before using my Electrical Masters License in Afghanistan for 4 years... losing al my tech savvy in the process.
I've seen U.S. Filter Graphic Interfaces that resemble the PanelView Plus 1000's and from what I've read, expect a bit of a leg up once learning them... i.e. The Alma took a day to learn where the AOI's took substantially more, since Alma resembled my past where AOI's didn't.
Point is, I thought perhaps someone here may have general info as to the software, (I saw a free PanelView download link towards AB??? Is that all I would need???) and most importantly, which model range might be a good option to pick up to learn with 600, 700, 1000 Plus vs. cost vs. what's in the field most and required by Companies, (I will be applying for a job hopefully in the Northwest U.S. by Spring and hope to be very efficient in RsLogix 5000 and PanelViews, I am week in Comm's since I am a 1 unit home trainee now.
THANKS in advance!!

If you want free, go with Red Lion Crimson 3.0. You can run the demo on a PC* and in most cases configure it to talk to your PLC so you don't even have to purchase real hardware to fully develop and test your HMI projects.

*Time limited to 30 minutes I think.

I don't think anything for a Panelview is free. I think PanelBuilder32 for the standard (now obsolete) panelviews is $750, but that may have changed since I became a mechanic about a year ago.

Last edited:
Statistically, yes you are more likely to run into a PanelView when applying for jobs in the USA. But not every plant/company uses them. Learning about PanelViews will only help you with a job using PanelViews. Learning about HMI software will help you with a job that uses any HMI software.

It would be useful to be familiar with PanelViews if you plan on a long career with HMIs in the USA. You are bound to either work with a PanelView or decide if you should buy/install one. Knowing what they are about will help you make informed decisions in the future.

There are two main families of PanelViews (still being sold/manufactured).
PanelView Plus
PanelView Component

PV Component has free software (connected components workbench) that you can download, but does not work with CompactLogix nor ControlLogix. So in your case, that is no good. The 4" is the newest terminal and is the only one I would recommend getting until they update the other hardware sizes. PLC aside, it would still be worth downloading the free software to learn, as another HMI software package.

PanelView Plus will work with nearly all PLCs. The software costs money and the terminals are not cheap. 6" and 10" are popular but the size is not relevant here for learning purposes.
Maybe you could make a special request to your local distributor to get you a good price on FTView Studio ME software. A trial/demo only runs for 7 days.
Buying a license is cheaper than a PVP/FTView ME course and you get a license on top of that.

Some distributors run a special 1 day training program where you also get a PanelView terminal and software. If they don't, then tell them they should and you would help them test out the training program for free & a s/w license, etc.

If you have never programmed with an HMI then I would recommend starting with a different HMI. As OkiePC points out there are several FREE options for software and Red Lion is a good s/w to learn about operator terminals. Automation Direct and Maple Systems are also popular in the NorthWest for low cost software & hardware.

Playing the odds for your job search, yes you should learn PanelView Plus at some point. But I would not recommend starting there if you just want to learn about HMI software. You are better off learning how to program with 3 or 4 different free software programs. Then you will know in general how to work with HMIs, and what features are valuable and which are not.

Thanks

Thanks for the advice, I'll do as you both suggest. Playing the numbers and getting the broadest coverage of knowledge for my initial buck seems the smartest avenue, then specialization down the road when I land a position. HMI's in General, and everything else mentioned

Most sincere thanks arlenjacobs and OkiePC!