CompactLogix Firmware Downgrade

Mark Cole

I have a 1769-L33ER running version 20.12 firmware and I would like to flash it to V21 to retain the comments in the controller and I would really like to flash it to 24 for the new logical organizer feature.

The possible issue is it has some Turck and Sick devices on Devicenet and I am not sure if running a higher controller firmware would likely cause issues with those as I don't have much devicenet experience and I am in sponge mode right now.

Also if I do flash it whats involved with downgrading it back to 20.12? I assume it's possible but how big of a deal is it?

The controller firmware won't affect the DeviceNet functionality at all.

But there's a big jump between v20 and later of the RSLogix and RSNetworx software.

If you do install v21 or newer Studio 5000 software, you absolutely must also upgrade RSLinx Classic and RSNetworx for DeviceNet. The EDS subsystem changed significantly and you cannot successfully mix Studio 5000 and pre-v21 RSNetworx.

But there's a big jump between v20 and later of the RSLogix and RSNetworx software.

If you do install v21 or newer Studio 5000 software, you absolutely must also upgrade RSLinx Classic and RSNetworx for DeviceNet. The EDS subsystem changed significantly and you cannot successfully mix Studio 5000 and pre-v21 RSNetworx.

Thank you Sir. I have a couple more small questions.

Will I need to update any of the EDS files for the DeviceNet Devices? I don't have RSNetworx Installed yet but I planned to install the latest with my V20 install on the same Virtual PC.

Would you think V24 would be ok to install at this point and flash? I know it's been out for a couple weeks now.

Sir can I flash back down to 20.12 if I need to? If so how involved is that?