OT - Draftsight on an XP system

Aabeck

I downloaded Draftsight based on recommendations on this forum, and have it installed on 2 systems fine (Win7 32 bit & Win8.1 64 bit) - but I just got an old WinXP laptop for using older 16 bit & DOS programs & installed it there, but when I start it I get 2 errors saying:

Procedure entry points not located in Kernel32.dll:
InitializeCriticalSectionEx
GetTickCount64

Then it crashes. I repaired WinXP & it still happens. I tried installing this on a colleagues WinXP system & he gets the same errors - so it must be something with XP.

On my other systems it's a great program, especially for free.

Haven't been able to access the Draftsight Knowledge Base even though I signed up, and they have no links for support I found.

Has anyone gotten past this?

GetTickCount64 and InitializeCriticalSectionEX are kernel functions that are only included in Windows Vista and up; XP doesn't support it.

Any idea why Draftsight, that is listed as XP compatible, is looking for these then?

Interesting information. We still use XP one some systems and I like running Draftsight on them.. cause it's a _very_ cheap alternative to a system I've learned to work with and actually grown to love a bit. well hanging on to the "old" version doesn't bother me.. it works, and I don't think there's so much to improve on the software. It basically works like AutoCAD did like more than 10 years ago... It is a bit weird though that they don't support winXP anymore... that must be deliberate.
But then again.. they support Fedora and Ubuntu and that is nice. though only 64bit I guess.

yeah theoretically you are right. but I know for a fact that it is not very hard for a software developer these days to (also) support windows XP. It is actually harder to support different systems like linux. So not supporting WinXP is imho a deliberate choice of the software maker but what can you say about free (not-paid for) software...

.. or am I too influenced by being made to support 20-30 year old hard- and software...

XP is dead. Costs money to keep supporting it. Time to move on.

I didn't want to go back to XP, but my new Win8.1 64 bit laptop won't run a bunch of PLC software I have (Step7 Pro, Mitsubishi GX Developer, Step5, Quartech HMI's, and more that I use frequently for customers aging equipment.)

I just got the XP laptop a couple weeks ago.

Fortunately, I found that the C-Net download website had Draftsight 2013 on their server & have that installed & running fine. I really just wanted the option of being able to modify drawings on-site, as I mostly use Draftsight on my desktop for CAD work, because I don't really like working on laptop keyboards & touchpads (I regularly carry a mouse with me in my case.)

Instead of an XP laptop, run it in a VM. I too need to run software that won't ever work in Windows7. A VM makes life easier.

Instead of an XP laptop, run it in a VM. I too need to run software that won't ever work in Windows7. A VM makes life easier.

Win 8.1, not Professional, doesn't support VM. You have to buy 8.1PRO & get Hyper-V (not VM), then buy a XP install disk.

It was cheaper, and easier, to buy a used laptop running XP. Which as a bonus also came with a built-in serial port and a full width PCMCIA slot for my Siemens 5512 Profibus card.

Can't wait for Windows 10 to come out & get rid of Win8.1.:confused: