Modicon Proworx 32 to Unity Pro

Darkzadow

Hi I have a modicon 984 and HAD a pc issue with the dev PC that had the Proworx 32 software and programming on it. The hard drive took a dive and the backups are missing. I was able to slave the HD to get to the files so I think i have the project files.

Can I use Unity Pro XL(ver 6) to connect to the PLC to program it and can I import the files I recovered to unity Pro

I ask because the software site says it can (ver 8) but I would like to know if anyone has done something similar or should I rebuy Proworx 32 as the original programmer did not keep the CD in a place I know about.

Thank you in advance to any and all who respond

Lets see if a forum member who has proworx-32 can export the documentation for you if you can send them the files. Then you can upload the program from the 984 and import the documentation. Unfortunately I tossed proworx-32 in the garbage where it belonged a few years back so I can't help you there but there are probably some forum members who still use it.

Wouldn't exporting the documentation be possible if I load it in to the unity pro program? I mainly want to know if anyone has used Unity Pro to connect to and program an old 984 controller so I know its possible before I mess with my coworkers Unity Dev machine.

No you cannot use unity to program a 984 plc
You can convert a proworx program to be used by Unity (Unity will open the proworx32 .PWX file).
Unity now comes with 984LL as an addition to the standard 5 iec langauges, so converting the program is relatively easy but you would need new cpu hardware (Quantum, M340 or M580). A Quantum will connect directly to a remote 984 rack over S908
Maybe now would be the time to upgrade. Should be relatively painless.
A Quantum cpu loaded with your 'existing' code and an S908 RIO head module to talk to your existing IO, and your up and running

Remember when deciding how to go that 984 cpus have been a legacy item for probably 10 years or more, same for proworx32

Well thats a bummer. I cant use unity. I found a proworx 32 cd in the closed annex, behind unused drive cabinets, and under a desk buried in a spare PLC IO book. So im going to try installing that.

On upgrading I unfortunately/fortunately have been told to bring the modicon to rslogix to match the rest of the plant. I will do an export to unity as insurance so i have view-able copy of the code and a way to install a quantum immediately if the worst should happen.