MPI on generic RS485 port

jwilcoxson

Could a generic RS485 port be used in Step 7 v5.5 for connection to a Siemens PLC with an MPI port? I am choosing PC Adapter(MPI) and the correct COM port, but can't seem to get it to work.

I see, thank you. I was more curious than anything, I have a regular MPI PC Adapter. So what is actually going on behind the scene with the PC adapter thats different from a regular RS485 port?

The PC adapter is actually a gateway. Not just a simple converter.
On the PC side, I think the protocol is more like 3964R. So I have heard.
Dont waste too much effort on MPI. It is a dying standard.

Similar Topics

Hi I Have new CU320 Module (6sl3040-0MA00-0AA01) for sinamis G150. i want to download Backup config. of old CU320 to new Module with PC Adapter...
Replies
Views
I have a customer that wants us to use a S7-400 PLC. I don't get into Siemens too often (unless I have to). This machine doesn't do much and...
Replies
Views
So I am working on a machine where the PC has died. The PC was running Windows XP, Protool RT, Step7 V5.3, SimoComU and other software. The...
Replies
Views
Hello guys, I have upgraded the old 318-2aj00-0ab0 cpu to a 317-1ak14-0ab0. After an upgrade there seems to be a communication issue to a HMI...
Replies
Views
Hello automation experts. Do you have any experience with cheaper USB/DP adapters, such as Amsamotion? I would use it occasionaly, mainly for...
Replies
Views
Back
Top Bottom