Siemens c7 635 combined PLC/HMI

barney123

Hi,
I have a *C7 635 KEY* combined PLC/HMI. I need to move a full panel with this Unit on the door from a production area due to a water issue. I was hoping to programme a small Hmi for the production area and connect to the C7 635 unit so the process could still be controlled from the factory floor.

1) Is it possible to connect a second hmi to this type of unit, and what would be a nice compact HMI for just a start stop control and a few Analogue setpoints. I really dont want massive graphics on this screen
2) which port would you use and is there a certain cable that can be used for this communication.

Many thanks in advance for any advice given
It is my first time using siemens software, as I have been using allen bradley
for the past 10 years. and never explored siemens

Once Again Thanks for any advice given
John

The C7 635 key is simply a 314C-2DP CPU and an OP170B HMI built into the same unit.
The CPU and the HMI have individual MPI addresses for example. So yes, you can connect an additional HMI and acces the CPU just like a normal 314C-2DP.

You can use both the MPI port (X2), and the DP port (X3), but for a beginner it is the easiest to use the MPI port.

One word of warning: The C7 635 Key is totally obsolete.
Dont invest too much effort into this device.
Do you have the source program ?

c7 635

Hi
Many Thanks For Your Reply.

I am hoping To Have the source code on friday.

In my favour I have a identical c7 635 on the shelf as a spare.

The Hmi Programme could be transfered to this via a flash card and not use the plc section. based on your reply about MPI address is there any way through the c7 635 config settings, that the path could be set up to connect with the working plc on the presant c7 635 and use the spare unit as a hmi only, instead of buying a new siemens hmi.
or does this have to be done via pc.

Lastly is there such a thing as a MPI to MPI cable or is there a pinout chart that someone could consult.

Many Thanks Again For giving me a great understanding of what is involved.

Regards,
John

Yes you can use the HMI part on the spare C7 635. It is simply an OP170B packaged together with a 314C-2DP CPU.

For the cable, use Profibus cable and connectors.