Getting LM90 to work w/DOSBox!

g_4key

Hey Everyone,

Looking for some help with getting Logic Master to run on Windows 7 64 Bit, right now I have transferred the LM90 file from the XP PC (C:\LM90) to a flash drive/usb drive and transferred it over into the C: drive on the Windows 7 PC. Then installed DOSBox as a workaround to run it on the Windows 7 PC, opened DOSBox and typed the following commands:

Z:\>MOUNT C C:\LM90

Drive C mounted as local directory C:\LM90

Z:\>C:\LM90

But yet it didn't work, am I missing something, did it wrong or is this just not possible? Here are some screen shots for what happened and reference.

Success

Fiddled with it and got it to work, I though once i mounted the drive i was assuming i has to put in the file location on the my computer but that obviously didn't work. So I looked at some guides and I forgot to switch over to that mounted drive I told DOSBox to mount. So I should have done the following after mounting

Z:\>A: *This would switch to the mounted drive*

Then,

A:\>LM90 *To launch LM90

Sadly I think i need to configure the setup for LM90 now. How would I set it up exactly now its running?

2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg

Last edited:
You can verify the path by entering "path" and enter key in the dos box. DosBox should then display the active paths in use.
Are you calling LM90 using LM90.bat? That batch file exists in your LM90 directory. It should add LM90 the path.

Does your PC have an RS232 port? If not, you will probably not be able to use a USB-RS232 adapter with DosBox.

Watch this... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TDEKX-SuG8

It will show you how to set up the USB port/Com port, its using PCIS but the setup will be the same, I have never used it for LM90... I use VersaPro or Proficy

This is what I added for the auto exe

Code:
[autoexec]
# Lines in this section will be run at startup.
# You can put your MOUNT lines here.
mount c c:\pcis
c:
pcis

Here is a screen shot of the path, the COM port I have and I'm not sure how to verify if it is using LM90 or LM90.bat. How would i check that? Below is my file for DOX Box configuration;
[serial]
# serial1: set type of device connected to com port.
# Can be disabled, dummy, modem, nullmodem, directserial.
# Additional parameters must be in the same line in the form of
# parameter:value. Parameter for all types is irq (optional).
# for directserial: realport (required), rxdelay (optional).
# (realport:COM1 realport:ttyS0).
# for modem: listenport (optional).
# for nullmodem: server, rxdelay, txdelay, telnet, usedtr,
# transparent, port, inhsocket (all optional).
# Example: serial1=modem listenport:5000
# Possible values: dummy, disabled, modem, nullmodem, directserial.
# serial2: see serial1
# serial3: see serial1
# serial4: see serial1

serial1=directserial realport:com1
serial2=dummy
serial3=disabled
serial4=disabled

[dos]
# xms: Enable XMS support.
# ems: Enable EMS support.
# umb: Enable UMB support.
# keyboardlayout: Language code of the keyboard layout (or none).

[autoexec]
# Lines in this section will be run at startup.
# You can put your MOUNT lines here.
Mount C C:\

I'am still having the communications problem. Im starting LM90 by doing this;
C:
C:\CD LM90
LM90:\LM90.bat

Inside I have a Series 90 Micro Selected then press F1 for the programming package and receive the following;

wsil communication error:invalid operating system detected
PLC Communications is not available
*Yes that is right it is windows 7 64 bit running not XP/2000*

Press any key to continue

*space bar*

(02174) PLC Communications Driver was not installed

Do you wish to continue? (Y/N)

*N: Nope need communications going*

So still not letting me communicate quite yet I'm beginning to wonder if this is even going to work at all. Is there something I have missed or over looked?

5.jpg 6.jpg

LM90.Bat File

: LM90.BAT -- LM90 package shell procedure for MS-DOS.
: Parameter 1 specifies the home directory. If blank, then
: the directory set via the environment string $PLCROOT is used
: (eg. SET $PLCROOT=c:\lm90). If $PLCROOT is not the home directory,
: then the \LM90 directory on the default disk is assumed.
echo off
break off
if not "%1"=="" goto test
if exist %$plcroot%\menu90.exe goto startup
%0 \lm90
:test
if exist %1\menu90.exe goto defn
goto retry
:defn
set $plcroot=%1
:startup
%$plcroot%\menu90 1
if errorlevel 99 goto msg2
goto dsp
:loop
%$plcroot%\menu90
:dsp
if errorlevel 87 goto wsil20q
if errorlevel 86 goto wsil20
if errorlevel 85 goto c20slpwq
if errorlevel 84 goto c20slpw
if errorlevel 83 goto c20slpq
if errorlevel 82 goto c20slp
if errorlevel 81 goto c20ewq
if errorlevel 80 goto c20ew
if errorlevel 79 goto c20eq
if errorlevel 78 goto c20e
if errorlevel 77 goto wsi20q
if errorlevel 76 goto wsi20
if errorlevel 75 goto lan30wq
if errorlevel 74 goto lan30w
if errorlevel 73 goto lan70wq
if errorlevel 72 goto lan70w
if errorlevel 71 goto slp30wq
if errorlevel 70 goto slp30w
if errorlevel 69 goto slp70wq
if errorlevel 68 goto slp70w
if errorlevel 67 goto p70slpw
if errorlevel 66 goto p70slpwq
if errorlevel 65 goto c70slpw
if errorlevel 64 goto c70slpwq
if errorlevel 63 goto p30slpw
if errorlevel 62 goto p30slpwq
if errorlevel 61 goto c30slpw
if errorlevel 60 goto c30slpwq
if errorlevel 59 goto p30ew
if errorlevel 58 goto p30ewq
if errorlevel 57 goto c30ew
if errorlevel 56 goto c30ewq
if errorlevel 55 goto p70ew
if errorlevel 54 goto p70ewq
if errorlevel 53 goto c70ew
if errorlevel 52 goto c70ewq
if errorlevel 51 goto slp30q
if errorlevel 50 goto slp30
if errorlevel 49 goto c30slpq
if errorlevel 48 goto c30slp
if errorlevel 47 goto p30slpq
if errorlevel 46 goto p30slp
if errorlevel 45 goto slp70q
if errorlevel 44 goto slp70
if errorlevel 43 goto c70slpq

Dare I suggest that the time you have invested in trying to make a 1990 vintage DOS application run under Windows 7 would have been better spent importing your Logicmaster projects into Proficy Machine Edition.
Or, if your boss insists on staying with Logicmaster, hang onto your XP or older computer to run it on.

Well the main reason I'm doing this is to have a dual screen session of the old GE Fanuc 90-30s and Micros with LM90 running on one side and go line by line creating a similar program in new Allen Bradley P.L.C.'s. I'd love to run Proficy Machine Edition we just don't have it so, I'm trying to work with what I have and another thing is I cant even find the original CD for LM90 unless it was on a series of floppy discs either way I have no idea which to look for. Is the only way to get proficy from a supplier? Is there no freeware or 3rd party software available for porgramming these 90-30s on Windows 7? I'm begging to think maybe i should either just buy proficy or download it from a bit torrent client.

Is the only way to get proficy from a supplier?
Yes
Is there no freeware or 3rd party software available for porgramming these 90-30s on Windows 7?
No
Well the main reason I'm doing this is to have a dual screen session of the old GE Fanuc 90-30s and Micros with LM90 running on one side and go line by line creating a similar program in new Allen Bradley P.L.C.'s.
So open the Logicmaster file on the XP computer and set it up alongside the Windows 7 computer running RSLogix. If you absolutely, positively have to see everything on the same computer, print the logic from the Logicmaster session on the XP machine to a .txt file and open that on the Windows 7 machine.

Well the main reason I'm doing this is to have a dual screen session of the old GE Fanuc 90-30s and Micros with LM90 running on one side and go line by line creating a similar program in new Allen Bradley P.L.C.'s.
That is the worst way to write a program as you do not know how efficient it will be in fact I can guarantee that it will be less efficient than getting a good and clear sequence of events and writing it from the ground up. Thereby using tools in the new package that are better or different than the way the old system did things.
It will likely take longer too as you will need to learn one system as you go.

Last edited: