PC Based SCADA Software

Rdrast

Wrong choice of words tired after a stressful day, I'm need the standard HMI configuration, controlling valves feedback from analog sensors etc but really looking for trending and out putting graphs from various temperature sensors.

I've looked into AdvancedHMI last year, its a good product and i know its been updated a few time so may look into it again.

PC-based HMI is a very large market.

Most PLC makers have their own preferred system, and the two big non-PLC-maker vendors were once Wonderware (Intouch) and Intelluition (Fix32 and iFix).

These days there are many more makers of HMI software, ranging from big platform-independent server-based stuff like Inductive Automation Ignition to PC-based standalone products like Indusoft or PeakHMI or Lookout, to projects like AdvancedHMI or Mango.

My company preference is Indusoft Web Studio.

In my opinion the finest trending and data logging package on the market is Ignition, because it is SQL-based to the core.

You really have to decide on what your needs are.

- Simple and cheap:Give Archie's app a try,
- Cheap but a bit more advanced: PeakHMI.
- Unlimited creativity and scalability at a low cost: Igntion

I'm partial to Ignition, to expand on Ken's comment about it being SQL-based. As Ken pointed out, this makes for easy trending/data collection. BUT, you can link SQL data/tables to just about any type of object/scripting within Ignition. The functionality you can build into your application because you can harness SQL is unbelievably impressive.

If you download their fully functional Virtual Machine Demo and tear apart the demo application/MySQL tables you'll see what I mean.

https://inductiveautomation.com/downloads/demo-project-files

Hello,

>- Cheap but a bit more advanced: PeakHMI.

Inexpensive and much more advanced with unlimited creativity.

>and scalability

Not sure about the parameters of that statement. We have customers with >10k tags.

Hello,

>- Cheap but a bit more advanced: PeakHMI.

Inexpensive and much more advanced with unlimited creativity.

>and scalability

Not sure about the parameters of that statement. We have customers with >10k tags.

I was merely acknowledging your product, giving it credit as an option. I don't think my comment was inaccurate, as it is more advanced wouldn't you agree? I made no mention of any specific parameters of your product as I am not an expert on your product, and have stated in the past that I have no intention to use it or evaluate it.

I made it clear that I am partial to Ignition, and my comments about scalability and creativity were specific to Ignition. Feel free to post some links to your website or marketing materials which show the varying system architectures/redundancy options/site-to-site remote access possibilities that promote the scalability of your product.

Considering a PanelView Plus can run 5000 tags, the 10K mark you speak of isn't all that impressive.

I've looked into AdvancedHMI last year, its a good product and i know its been updated a few time so may look into it again.
In the past year AdvancedHMI has seen quite a few improvements and additions. Some of the more recent additions are support for the AB Micro820 and 850 using tag names directly, ModbusRTU, and drivers for Omron PLCs.

To my knowledge, AdvancedHMI is the only free software that supports the Allen Bradley line of PLCs.

My company currently uses HP/Verano/Industrial Defender RTAP (Real time application platform) with the Visulizer front end. Although we are currently upgrading our SCADA system to Wonderware archestra.

Have used almost everything except Archie's one and will give that a go now it has an Omron driver.
It depends what you require - I would say to you that if trending and graphing is the most important requirement I would use Citect - now known as Vijeo Citect.
In my view it has the very best trending capabilities of any SCADA system and the best built in trend display pages.
You can also use a trigger to start and stop trending when something is running or not and the trend files are really quite tiny an efficient - you do not need massive hard drives to say trend 100 odd values for 12 months. I had a job where I was trending 700 values for a 12 month period - some as often as far less than 1 second scan (frequency every 100ms) in a power station. I think the drive was only 500 meg and it never filled up.
I have not looked at another SCADA system for a job for years now and some of the others may have improved with respect to trending.
I hear Ignition is pretty good but have not looked at trending with it or the size of the files - I have had a look at the whole application and it looks pretty good.
By the way, Schneider seem to be buying most of the bid SCADA manufacturers - there have been several lately. From past history they will be Schneiderised or dropped leaving people in the poo! I doubt they will ever drop Citect due to the huge user base in Australia and elsewhere in the world but who knows. They have a very good SCADA system from Canada that is designed for remote I/O (RTU) applications as well and seem to be pushing that very hard into the market place. I find it not very intuitive though.
FIX 32 was the last time I used FIX - not impressed with a few exceptions. There are a few things in FIX that I would like to see in every SCADA system from a programmers point of view but far too many things I did not like.
By the way, Citect supports SQL. Citect was also used for the biggest SCADA system in the world - Olympic Dam in Oz. I think the last count was 1.25 million tags - Citect dials out to remotes - remotes dial in to Citect - every posible configuration taken care of. The overall scan time for the system with that many tags was less than 2 seconds - pretty impressive for 10-15 years ago! I hear there has been more added and if the extension goes ahead there will be heaps more. There are a LOT of redundant servers! Not where you are of course, or most of us, but interesting none the less.
Hope this helps.
By the way, I have been programming Citect, and will be on and off for the next 3-5 years, at Tidbinbilla Tracking Station in Canberra for CSIRO/NASA. They are most impressed with the improved trending capabilities.

Thanks everyone looks like there's a lot to go through and test, should keep me busy over Christmas period.

Just called out to Papua New Guinea oh what fun I have :(

Did you develop on RTAP? Are you satisfied about RTAP?

My company currently uses HP/Verano/Industrial Defender RTAP (Real time application platform) with the Visulizer front end. Although we are currently upgrading our SCADA system to Wonderware archestra.

Hello, we are looking to migrate to RTAP. Are you satisfied about RTAP as developer/implementor? Why is the company migrating to Wonderware?
Thanks in advance.