First Program

Prayder

Lifetime Supporting Member
Just downloaded the free rslogix 500 lite version from rockwell and I was wondering...

if I have written to first two rungs right then if I force on the input shouldn't the counter at the end of that rung start counting even though Im not actually online or anything just starting to learn and not physically connected to a MicroLogix controller.

Let's see the code...and remember that a counter requires a false to true transition for each count, the PLC must be in run mode and the logic must be in a file that is being scanned. LAD2 is scanned by default, but if you create a new LADder file, you need to call it from LAD2 with a JSR instruction in order for it to be scanned and processed.

RSLogix is only for writing the logic of the program. It does not execute or 'solve' the logic on your PC. The final code must be loaded into the actual controller then it is placed in 'run' mode. As an alternative there is an 'emulator' program which runs on a PC and can be treated as a virtual PLC. Maybe others can help you with information on that.

If you want to test your logic in an emulated PLC without real hardware, you can download (I think it's still available) RSLogix Emulate 500 which will allow the simulation of some very basic Micrologix PLCs without paying for a license.

Your screenshot shows that you are "OFFLINE" (upper left indicator) so you will only be seeing a static view of the logic and data as it exists in the offline copy of the program on your PC. You need to be "ONLINE" with a real PLC or one running in RSLogix Emulate to see anything actually happen.

RSLogix Emulate 500 has some limitations and quirks but is a very useful tool for learning and testing code without having to spend money on hardware and cables:

http://www.rockwellautomation.com/rockwellautomation/support/plc/micrologix.page

Also note that you will use RSLinx to set up communication between your programming software (RSLogix 500) and the emulated PLC just as you would a real PLC.

Here is a video that looks useful to help you get started:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbxwFU1rjtY

I have not watched the whole thing yet (slow internet here in the boonies)...

Last edited: