RSLinx and CLX Gateway Trouble

Jmeadows7676

Hello,

I have been experiencing some problems with one of our PLC Programing Terminal. We recently installed a CLX Gateway for use with our DH + network of PLC5s , SLCs, and CLXs. There was very little problem getting it up and running but in the last week or so I’ve been getting calls saying they are not able to go online with the PLC’s . They are pulling up RSWho and drilling down through the Driver, Slots, DH+ channel and then there is nothing there just the local node address of the channel. I can look over at the Card itself and see there are no indications of faults or warnings from the front LED lights. So I delete the Driver and restart and the problem goes away. During this time I notices I could open up an offline project and click go online and the issue went away. It went online fine. I was told that this problem is happening on all three programming platforms RSLogix 5, RSLogix 500, and RSLogix 5000. The programming Terminal and CLX Gateway Rack are hooked to the same unmanaged switch. So i don't think it would be on the network side seeing how you can click Go Online with out going through RSWho and it works fine.
Thanks in advance for the Help o_O

I don't want to jump to conclusions, but this sounds like a bug I encountered in the 1756-DHRIO about eight years ago.

The problem was with browsing connections. The 1756-DHRIO wasn't releasing the connection resource properly when a connection was closed down. It would run fine at first, but after some maximum number of times that RSLinx did a browse through it (I think it was 32) it would run out of connection numbers and stop allowing browsing.

I wish I could point to a specific firmware revision or a better description of the problem.

It can't hurt to check the firmware revision of the 1756-DHRIO and see if it's up to date for that particular hardware Series.

Don't forget to get into the diagnostics on the DH+ side, too; it might be that you have some signal or noise problems and those are causing bandwidth to be used up on retries.