SLC 5/03 and low voltage supply

Ken Moore

Lifetime Supporting Member
According to one of our techs, we have a SLC 5/03 that is faulting for low voltage to the chassis power supply 1746-P2. I cannot find this fault in the documentation, has anyone every encountered this?

Per the AB web site, if the is low voltage for > 20ms at full load, the power supply will signal the processor to shut down, the processor then has 5ms for a check sum and other house keeping and then shuts down. Is this correct.

BTW,
In the heat of summer we do sometimes experience voltage swing from the power company.

Ken

I've heard this can occur even tho I've not personally run into it before. You might need some type of signal conditioner to the PLC to prevent this in the future.

I've had to complain to the power company before because of power outages, not power swings. Maybe they need to get a phone call. If you are in an industrial area maybe some of your neighbors have the same type problems. Sometimes troubleshooting goes beyond the walls and if enough facilities are having problems the utility might get involved.

Our facility is located in the middle of nowhere. The local electrical company is a CO-OP and couldn't provide the power we needed. So a Big commercial power company ran a dedicated service for our plant. We have our own sub-station and there aren't any other users. Within the plant itself, we have four 2000 amp sub-stations, and all the problems, seem to be associated with one of them, I'll contact the supplier and see if there is a problem with the one station.

Ken