G310 factory reset?

allscott

I was trying to make an update on a G310 and when I tried to update via USB something when horribly wrong and now I can't communicate at all with it.

Is there a button sequence or someway to reset back to factory defaults?

I appear to have bricked two G310's!

After my last post I installed a spare HMI. I tried sending the database I had just uploaded from the other one and it stops at downloading block 1. I waited there for about 10 minutes then finally aborted. Now when I try to download I get an error. 2.23.2 unexpected reply code was received.

What did I do wrong?

Both of them are doing the same thing? It is possible that the original file was generated in Crimson 2.0 and I am using 3.0, could that be the problem?

I think there is a way to hard reset the unit by holding in one of the soft buttons while you power on. Maybe the upper button?

I think there is a way to hard reset the unit by holding in one of the soft buttons while you power on. Maybe the upper button?

I read that somewhere too and tried that but it didn't work. It goes to the boot loading screen when it starts and then goes to just a jumbled mess of red and white and sits there.

i don't know much about this stuff,

but i have read by google ,use the compact flash download with original/previous version.

hope you still keep the original program

I can't download anything to either of these panels. I've been trying to get a hold of someone in technical support at Red lion, or anyone there honestly for over two hours with no luck....

Well I got it fixed. I used a different laptop with an older version of Crimson 3 and it downloaded just fine. So either it was a version issue or something wrong with the USB driver on the first laptop.

If someone at Red Lion ever answers the phone maybe they will enlighten me.

Maybe you're unaware that this is a holiday weekend for most in the U.S. Red Lion is most likely off for the weekend (especially yesterday which was Thanksgiving Day) ...

Well I got it fixed. I used a different laptop with an older version of Crimson 3 and it downloaded just fine. So either it was a version issue or something wrong with the USB driver on the first laptop.

I've had something similar happen when I installed on older version of Crimson over a newer one without uninstalling the newer one first. Thought the panel was toast. Quick call to Red Lion and they explained my erroneous thinking. Although, it wasn't a holiday.

Maybe you're unaware that this is a holiday weekend for most in the U.S. Red Lion is most likely off for the weekend (especially yesterday which was Thanksgiving Day) ...

Actually I knew it was a holiday weekend, I just didn't know you guys started it on Thursday. :)

Actually I knew it was a holiday weekend, I just didn't know you guys started it on Thursday. :)

To be precise Thursday is THE holiday. Thanksgiving is always on a Thursday.
🍻

EDIT: The rest is just shopping frenzy and preparing for deer season (in Pennsylvania atleast)

I don't know if this is useful, but:

http://files.redlion.net/filedepot_download/1299/4385
TECHNICAL NOTE TNOI14
Title: G308/G310 Startup Behavior
Product(s): G308, G310

To fix boot loader device driver problems, use the WinSend utility from the Crimson directory to start and then
abort a firmware download via a serial cable. Power-cycle the G3, and make sure it remains in the boot loader,
thereby allowing you to access the G3 Loader device in the Windows Device Manager. Uninstall the driver
manually, and if the driver doesn't re-install on its own, power cycle the G3 once more. This time, let the driver
install properly, and then continue as normal. Note that the unit must be in the boot loader for you to be able to
get to the G3 Loader device. If you let the unit start Crimson, the driver will not be accessible.

Beware the laptop power supply!

I had a problem once downloading. It turned out to be a noisy laptop power supply messing with the usb port. Red Lion actually gave me the fix.

I just unplugged the power supply and ran off the battery. It fixed the problem.

I've had something similar happen when I installed on older version of Crimson over a newer one without uninstalling the newer one first. Thought the panel was toast. Quick call to Red Lion and they explained my erroneous thinking. Although, it wasn't a holiday.

What I did a few years back, as per Red Lion, was to install each version in a different folder. I have Crimson version 1, 2 and 3 available which is nice for working with older systems where I do not want to lock the client out of his system or need to preserve it as it was.