Allen Bradley Block Transfer control byte

toont

Hi all,

While upgrading HMI from PanelBuilder32 to FactoryTalk View I encounter a problem using I/O to interface with a PanelView Plus.
The communication is defined in RSLogix 5 program as Rack 3 group 2 Size 3/4, range 32-37.
PLC communication with the panel is not changed, but buttons in old PanelView using I:34 and I:35 work, in the new PV+ they don't, all bits remain zero.
Block transfers Read and Write are all sending data to rack 3 group 2 module 0.
While testing I noticed O:32 is used as status bits by the Block Transfers - maybe inputs I:34 and I:35 are also used for somethings similar by a new PanelView Plus?

Thanks!

Am wondering if a PanelView Plus sends status bits or any other data not relating to your HMI program back to the PLC and what I/O they would use. Can't find any info in the documentation.

It's only the first byte of the discrete I/O address that is used by Block Transfers and is unavailable for discrete I/O transfer.

In your case, that would be I:032/00-07 and O:032/00-07.

With a 3/4 Rack object that starts at Group 02, that ought to leave I:033 through I:037 and O:033 through O:037 available for use by discrete I/O addressing.

I supposed I'd have to see the whole application to see if there's something wrong with your syntax inside the FactoryTalk View application.

The RIO implementation on the PanelView Plus was... disappointing. I would not use it if there was any other choice.

Here is the .rsp file, funcions removed except for block transfers. apa zip file was too big to upload.
A RIO to Ethernet converter is used to communicate between PLC and PV+. Already contacted the manufacturer and after testing they assured me the converter is only forwarding data, not writing any. The converter identifies itself as a PLC-5 40C, so communication setup looks like: PLC-5 80 <--RIO--> PLC-5 40C <--Eth--> PV+ 6 1500

Thanks for your help!

Last edited:
I get the following error when trying to write I:34, see attached picture 🤞🏻
A mixup with decimal 28 and octal 34? Then why would other input words work?

Edit: I removed the PLC in FactoryTalk Communications and added the same type again with same ip number. Now I can write to the whole word "I1:034", but writing one bit "I1:034/0" doesn't work and gives error as in the picture!

Capture.PNG

Last edited:
The problem was solved by installing a new firmware version in the RIO to Ethernet converter Prosoft module in which a fix was implemented for this 3/4 rack configuration.