Unrecognized device rslinx

Joshua37

I'm using RSLinx 2.57 for CompactLogix L32E FW v.16 with a prosoft module MVI69-MCM for modbus.

In the Who Active the module shows up as unrecognized device with yellow question mark. I'm guessing it is missing EDS files. When I right click on the module I don't find the upload EDS file option.
Where can I find the EDS file or am I missing something here, as I don't have much experience with this??

Could somebody please guide me??

Thanks.

I'm not sure it matters.

Every time I've used a MVI69 module I've downloaded the configuration from Prosoft Configuration Builder to the module over the module's serial port, rather than across the backplane.

Even if you are going to try to use the RSLinx-based CIPConnect backplane connection, your download point should be the CPU, not the module itself. The Prosoft knowledgebase suggests that the configuration is stored in the CPU as part of the AOI's datatypes, rather than in the module itself, when you use CIPConnect.

http://www.prosoft-technology.com/kb/article.php?id=493

Thanks Ken,

Actually I am able to download the configuration from PC to device as attached. if that is what you mean. Is that not sufficient ??

"Even if you are going to try to use the RSLinx-based CIPConnect backplane connection, your download point should be the CPU, not the module itself"

I'm sorry I don't quite understand.

pcb.jpg

If you are able to download the module configuration to the MVI69 module using the Prosoft Configuration Builder software, why do you need RSLinx Classic to identify the module ?

The fact that the MVI69 shows up as an unidentified module in the RSLinx browse should not affect the module's functionality at all.

RSLinx only needs to correctly identify a device if you're going to download to that device using RSLinx. Otherwise, it's fine to have an un-recognized device in the RSLinx browse.

Last edited:
I have similar with some Bihl Wiedemann ASi masters which were added to the original ControlLogix project as Generic modules following the manufacturers instructions. Now years later when I connect from a different pc they are shown as unknown module types in my hardware and through Linx.

I'm using RSLinx 2.57 for CompactLogix L32E FW v.16 with a prosoft module MVI69-MCM for modbus.

In the Who Active the module shows up as unrecognized device with yellow question mark. I'm guessing it is missing EDS files. When I right click on the module I don't find the upload EDS file option.
Where can I find the EDS file or am I missing something here, as I don't have much experience with this??

Could somebody please guide me??

Thanks.

I think this is <just the way it is>.
I have had similar response to a ProSoft card, using System Ferret and RSL. I think I called ProSoft, and they said that this is a Rockwell issue.

Ken has a good point, actually.... so what, if RSLinx doesn't show it....so long as Prosoft Config Builder can make its own path to it, and you can download and monitor, ...

Sorry for late reply.
I was able to make it work and receive data from the modbus network both with the Prosoft module and Modbus master program(just tried for the time being).
Had trouble trying to understand the modbus master but I did crack it :).
I had to sweat a bit more, but I was able to make it work.I just might be able to help someone with similar kind of trouble.

Thanks for your time guys. Thanks again. God Bless :)