HMI Display

southbendin

Does anyone know of an HMI that doesnt show display locally if it is accessed remotely. I've been using C Mores ... But ADC says it (CMore) doesnt have that capability.

Thanks.

You mean that the "Local" screen goes blank or locks when the device is accessed remotely ?

That's a normal feature of single-user desktop operating systems like Windows XP, but I'm unaware of an embedded OS or HMI panel that does that.

How about just switching off the backlight from your remote location. With a Beijer HMI I would set it so that the PLC watches for a particular LogIn level and sets the backlight Off. Then when you LogOut the backlight would come back on by itself.

Plan B would be for me to access the HMI using a built in web server rather than a VNC client, that way I could disable keyfields on the HMI but still have control via the web page.

You mean that the "Local" screen goes blank or locks when the device is accessed remotely ?

That's a normal feature of single-user desktop operating systems like Windows XP, but I'm unaware of an embedded OS or HMI panel that does that.

Heres the scenario: when the HMI (CMore) is accessed remotely the panel displays the screens that are being viewed. Even though the screens are password protected the information and settings are then visible and vunerable. The customer doesnt want that being displayed to local personnel. It can compromise the processes and operation.

I'm not familiar with the type of screen you are using but wondered if it was possible to use a runtime file or simulator to view a copy of the screen when connected remotely rather than directly accessing the original screen?

Or use any HMI type where screen/page changes can be controlled via PLC. Provide local/remote switch on each HMI panel and have the PLC code to force the remote HMIs to swicth to a blank screen/page while the local one is selected.

Use a totally seperate program, perhaps like Archie's Advanced HMI, for accessing the critical values in the PLC itself from the remote location.

In the "Remote Access" tab of the touch panel network screen, you can set a "Notification Tag" (you can use an internal tag). Use this tag in the alarm tag database to turn off the back-light. The operator *may* be able to touch the screen and re-enable the back-light while the remote access is still in session. Only way to know is to try it...

Last edited:
Pro-face hmi's remote access functionality allows you to have a asynchronous mode, where you can have independent operation from the remote client.

In the PC remote access program you can do all the hmi functions remotely and the local hmi screen is not affected.

The "app" version also allows this but limits what can be done from the client device.

Heres the scenario: when the HMI (CMore) is accessed remotely the panel displays the screens that are being viewed. Even though the screens are password protected the information and settings are then visible and vunerable. The customer doesnt want that being displayed to local personnel. It can compromise the processes and operation.

There are not any HMIs, to my knowledge, that will let you view them remotely and not show the screens that are being viewed on the display itself.
You will need to come up with a different display..... either duplicate the CMore or use something like Ignition, Wonderware Intouch, or Advanced HMI with another pc to monitor restricted data.

Last edited:
It may be dangerous to turn off the backlight. If an operator thinks the screen saver has kicked in they might touch the screen to wake it up and accidentally activate a button.

The backlight was my first thought too, but after thinking on it I don't think it is such a good idea.

OG