S7-1200 Noob help

DLMUK

Hi,

I have got an S7-1212 to play with. I have used TIA Portal on a few occasions but only with devices which have already been configured.

I am having trouble connecting for the first time, looking on the accessible devices I can find both my PLC and HMI but they only have a MAC address assigned, no IP. I also cannot ping either device, assuming this is because the IP address shown on TIA is not yet assigned to each device.

I have my laptop connected to an unmanaged ethernet switch and then both Siemens devices connected into that switch.

Am I missing a step to assign the IP addresses?

Thanks,

For the PLC the IP can be assigned when you download to the unit. The HMI IP is set from the configuration screens on the unit.

It can be done this way.

In TIA Portal in the Project tree select:
1. Online access
2. Select your NIC (must be on the same network as protocol only allows switching not routing)
3. Click Update accessible devices
(if not found and you are sure you are on the same network firewall or AV may be blocking the protocol)
4. When CPU is found expand it and select 'Online & Diagnostics'
5. Now in the right 'pane / section' you will have a selection for 'functions', one of them will be 'Assign IP address'

TIA_SetIP.jpg

actually, as i recall out-of-box 1200 has only MAC address, and thus it can be found by selecting show all accessible devices when 1st downloading the configuration, or as mentioned before with setting IP when first time online.

Apologies for being wrong. I've only set them up from scratch a few times, all for the same customer and every one I've worked on has had 192.168.0.1 as the IP address. Having read the other comments and thinking back I'm sure the other posters are correct.

...every one I've worked on has had 192.168.0.1 as the IP address...
+1.
Just set up a system with five S7-1215C's. Star Networked with unmanaged switches. Couldn't set addresses online, because all had the same. Had to connect to each one with laptop to change address.
I'm new to Siemens, so there may have been an easier way, but it was definite they had the default address out-of-the-box.

+1.
Just set up a system with five S7-1215C's. Star Networked with unmanaged switches. Couldn't set addresses online, because all had the same. Had to connect to each one with laptop to change address.
I'm new to Siemens, so there may have been an easier way, but it was definite they had the default address out-of-the-box.

Thanks all for your help.

Got it working in the end. I found that the PLC did not have an IP address to start with, however once I had discovered the device and connected it automatically assigned the IP address 192.168.0.1

S7-1200 don't have a default IP adress, but when you set it up in your TIA-Portal it will get a default IP adress of 192.168.0.1 unless you change it before download