Kadet Konnections - or - The Other HMI

RonJohn

Lifetime Supporting Member
My apologies for the skewed title. It's Friday and I've had a Rocky & Bullwinkle kind of week!

We have a project with an A-B L7 series Logix processor that needs to display a couple integer data values on a small HMI. All remote I/O use Ethernet comms. Needing to go relatively inexpensive here so we are looking into Red Lion Kadet G304K200.

The Red Lion website left me questioning whether or not program up/download can be done via the Ethernet connection or if had to be serial. I searched this site (A BIG THANK YOU) and found one post that appears to show that Ethernet download is a no go. Plus I found a few posts which left me wondering thinking that the Kadet may not be what I'm looking for. See posts here and here.

With this info in mind, is there another product someone can recommend that has worked for them?

Thanks in advance,
RonJohn

Last edited:
My apologies for the skewed title. It's Friday and I've had a Rocky & Bullwinkle kind of week!

We have a project with an A-B L7 series Logix processor that needs to display a couple integer data values on a small HMI. All remote I/O use Ethernet comms. Needing to go relatively inexpensive here so we are looking into Red Lion Kadet G304K200.

The Red Lion website left me questioning whether or not program up/download can be done via the Ethernet connection or if had to be serial. I searched this site (A BIG THANK YOU) and found one post that appears to show that Ethernet download is a no go. Plus I found a few posts which left me wondering thinking that the Kadet may not be what I'm looking for. See posts here and here.

With this info in mind, is there another product someone can recommend that has worked for them?

Thanks in advance,
RonJohn

You can load the program if it has the CF card installed. I cannot verify this is true for the Cadet models tho.
Ring the tech support team at Red Lion as they are very helpful and lurking here some too..

I've installed a dozen or so G304K and G304K2 terminals.

One of your posts linked to my troublesome customer who had an operator smashing terminals with his fist. It turns out that if that sort of user gets a more-durable terminal, he starts using hammers.

The initial download to the G304K2 terminal needs to be over RS-232, and you will have to make up a custom cable adapter to do it because that 9-pin connector includes multiple signal types.

I have one wiring adapter in the assembly shop and your post has reminded me that I need to make up another one for the new shop.

If the Ethernet port in your Crimson 3 database is enabled and configured with an IP address, you can do all your subsequent downloads over Ethernet.

Another project engineer in the Company saw my little machines and asked about the terminals, and he has subsequently ordered a stack of G304K2's for use with 1756-L72 controllers and EtherNet/IP.

The Generic Module object in RSLogix 5000 and the "EtherNet/IP Slave" driver is a simple and effective way to use the terminal data like I/O over EtherNet/IP with a ControlLogix/CompactLogix family controller.

As I understand, the original G304K000 hardware is no longer available, and the G304K200 added an Ethernet port.

And the serial port pinouts are different; the download cable for a G304K000 won't work on a G304K200.

That doesn't bother me too much, as I only had four G304K units in the field. When one of them got smashed by The Hulk, I replaced it with a G304K2 and that's when I spent a few minutes building a new download cable. All subsequent downloads were quick and easy over Ethernet.

One of your posts linked to my troublesome customer who had an operator smashing terminals with his fist. It turns out that if that sort of user gets a more-durable terminal, he starts using hammers.
Thanks Ken for the update. I errantly concluded that the broken screens may be due to the Kadet being made in a different facility (and maybe to different standards) from their other units.

If the Ethernet port in your Crimson 3 database is enabled and configured with an IP address, you can do all your subsequent downloads over Ethernet.
Excellent! That's the answer I was hoping for. I think we can live with the initial download over serial via an adaptor cable. We have the 9300-USBS as well as a third party USB to Serial converter, so one of those should work.

I had an e-mail request into Red Lion but hadn't seen a response from them yet. I believe this settles the matter in their favor.

Ron,

You can evaluate the screens from KEP.

http://www.eternity-sales.com/KEP/MMI8000.htm

Disclosure - ESI is an authorized distributor for KEP
s
I have used the Red Lion series of terminals (not the cadet) and the product is solid.
But for what you need to do the KEP may fit the bill nicely.
You get everything with a small KEP including drivers and such.
I have used the KEP ones with AB,Siemens and Wago not a single issue.
I don't remember if they support native L5K tags though.

Kadet is what you want.

The newest firmware lets you download via ethernet and set the IP without using a serial cable.

I use G304K2's in all of my machines with Micrologix 1400s.

As I recall, the initial power up of the Kadet lets you select the connection type for downloading. However, if you have a crash (as I have). you are forced into serial mode to recover.

So, it's always handy to have a serial cable to bring the unit back to its senses, just in case. But assuming no disasters (read program mistakes or download failures), you can do all the updates and download through the Ethernet connection (network or direct).

BTW, 'K' in Kadet stands for Korea. These are a different animal from the other HMI's in that they are not manufactured in the US, as I understand it.